Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving without MOT
joneh

posted on 18/3/08 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Driving without MOT

Being a total tool, I just realised my MOT has run out. The van is roadworthy as its just had a full service, at which I thought I'd got the MOT done as well but didn't. If I can't get it booked into the garage for tomorrow can I still drive it, knowing that MOT is booked for a few days time?

Cheers, Jon.

Simon

posted on 18/3/08 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
No, you can drive it to a pre arranged MOT, from a test station following a failure, or to a place where repair work will be carried out.

Have a look at VOSA/DVLA sites. Should confirm above.

ATB

Simon

GeorgeM

posted on 18/3/08 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
NO!
joneh

posted on 18/3/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Fuuuu.......! Best have my fingers crossed he can fit me in or I'm stuffed.

Mark G

posted on 18/3/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
You can only drive it to the testing station. Then IF it fails you may drive it home or to have the repairs carried out. Then you may drive it back to the testing station for the retest.

ed_crouch

posted on 19/3/08 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
However, as an interesting point, you dont have to take it to your nearest station - you could book it in at the other end of the country, and go for a damn good blat on the way!

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

ChrisW

posted on 19/3/08 at 02:14 AM Reply With Quote
I believe the 'problem' offence is actually driving an un-roadworthy vehicle. If you were caught, as long as you can prove the car is road worthy, it's not a huge problem. I know a chap that got caught for this. He had MOT booked for the next day and passed. My solicitor wrote a letter, and he was let off. However, I still wouldn't recommend it unless you have no other option.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 19/3/08 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
I really did forget to get my Focus MOT'd and drove for 3 months! Did not get noticed...but watch out for those number plate recognition cameras.

If it's for work, looks OK and and you don't draw attention to yourself I would take the risk.

iank

posted on 19/3/08 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
You will almost certainly be driving without insurance if you do. An accident even if not your fault could cost more than you can afford.

If you can't get it booked into your usual garage one of the many MOT only places will do the work I'm sure.

[Edited on 19/3/08 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Paul TigerB6

posted on 19/3/08 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
You will almost certainly be driving without insurance if you do.
[Edited on 19/3/08 by iank]

Correct - your insurance company would probably pay out a 3rd party but your own van will not be covered. Its also as mentioned an offence to drive without a valid MOT and as its all computerised these days it would be very easy for a numberplate recognition system in a cop car etc to pick it up.

joneh

posted on 19/3/08 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Train to work then! Can't fit me in till next week but my new car is ready tomorrow.

Cheers guys!

Jon

joneh

posted on 19/3/08 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
OMG! Public transport! I should have walked!!!!!

20 Minute delay on one train, and the planned train didn't even turn up! No wonder peeps moan about trains all the time. They're utter crap!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.