Board logo

Road trip communication
Benzine - 11/7/17 at 08:02 AM

I'm going on a road trip later this summer and wondered what folks are using for communication between cars. Radios with ear pieces? I'll be in my MK with a helmet on. I went to germany and back without any radio/phone comms and it got a bit frustrating!

40inches - 11/7/17 at 08:31 AM

I would think a Bike coms would fit the bill?
Something like this http://www.intaride.com/bike-to-bike-radio.html
Or
Helmet mounted

[Edited on 11-7-17 by 40inches]

ragindave - 11/7/17 at 08:57 AM

This App looks interesting.

Intercom for Android

Dick - 11/7/17 at 10:45 AM

My son and I use the starcom1 motorbike kits in our cars. They do the lot headset to radio mp3 phone bluetooth , you can get cheap seconed hand systems on ebay now

loggyboy - 11/7/17 at 10:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ragindave
This App looks interesting.

Intercom for Android

indeed -https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidintercom&hl=en_GB

mookaloid - 11/7/17 at 01:01 PM

I have these for bike to bike comms Sena SMH10 really good and clear even at motorway speeds.

Range with line of sight up to about 1km.

not the cheapest but.......

Ben_Copeland - 11/7/17 at 03:10 PM

4X1200M BT DSP Bluetooth Motorbike Motorcycle Helmet Interphone Intercom Headset

These are very good apparently, they also do sets of 2.

nelmo - 12/7/17 at 07:09 AM

You need to check what everyone else on your trip is using - no good if your system won't link with theirs.

Also worth checking the range of the motorbike systems - the Autocom is good but expensive and I recall that the cheaper ones don't have much of a range. I have a Nolan helmet for my bike and their own Bluetooth headset but I've never used the intercom so can't say how good it is.

Benzine - 12/7/17 at 07:22 PM

Thanks for the responses

[Edited on 12-7-2017 by Benzine]

greenwood03 - 1/8/17 at 04:32 PM

we use 2 way radios, the baofeng uv5's which are cheap as chips....obviously any will do the trick, but these are cheap and so far reliable. Most of the guys that use them in our clan have home brew headsets....as few of us bother with helmets, so we just have the motorbike ear piece and boom mic and we put them into a normal pair of ear defenders....
or those that have helmets use them as intended.....either way they work well.

Range varies depending on terrain, anything from 1/2 a mile through to about 1.5-2miles. that's with the normal stubby antenna.
IF ( big if) the person talking has the mic in the right place, and isnt talking through a snood or shouting then its perfectly possible to have a reasonable conversation up to about 50mph, at m/way speeds its good enough to be able to have a short chat about a fuel stop or whatever.

Interestingly i've driven with a couple of guys that use them via a starcom/autocom type hub which are hard wired into the cars, and for whatever reason they are the worst to hear/understand....

i reckon our diy 'kit' with radio works, so defenders/radio + the mic etc works out about £60/65 in total. One of the best thngs we ever did for group driving, even on a sunday run out there's banter and chat about all manner of things let alone the more serious side to warning about obstacles ahead etc.

Matt21 - 1/8/17 at 08:35 PM

Has anyone used an intercom system from their kit car to a tin top?
All of my car friends drive tin tops so it would be handy to have something so we can chat to each other. No great range needed as we'd all be together anyway

Robbaa - 30/11/17 at 02:31 PM

have a look at the scala packtalk systems. my mates use them on their motorbike runs and swear by them. bluetooth and all nice and wireless. a little pricey though