Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hybrid rear susp - something new?
carcentric

posted on 7/5/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hybrid rear susp - something new?

Yes, I'm still (re)planning my trike build; no, I've not cut a single tube.

I have bought a Datsun 210 (aka B310) rear axle assembly, though, and intend to use it with the two upper links of its four-link design. An illustration from the Datsun service manual is at www.carcentric.com/dat210Rsusp.gif

I'm thinking I'll replace the bottom two links, however, with a VW SuperBeetle front swaybar (which serves as the prime fore/aft locating links on the VW). Illustration at www.carcentric.com/sbFsuspparts.gif

This comination would essentially eliminate lean since the trike will be much lighter than the donor car, and the leverage ends of the swaybar are close enough to the length of the lower links that the geometry should remain close to the original Datsun design.

Put together, the parts would look like this:

Is this an original concept (two upper links plus swaybar as lower links), or have you seen it elsewhere?

As always, constructive criticism is welcome.

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

Jago Swizz

posted on 20/5/06 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I guess it would work similar to a FWD car with a trailing arm beam axle - like early vw polo/golf - but with improved geometry due to the upper links.

So whats going to power it?

And whats going at the front?

JoelP

posted on 9/6/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
roll would be limited by the ARB, but wouldnt the upper arms bind in roll anyway?
carcentric

posted on 13/7/06 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jago Swizz
. . . So whats going to power it? And whats going at the front?

Everything forward of what you see in the drawing is '79 Honda CX500 Custom. I'd lower the trees on the forks as far as they'd adjust, but otherwise completely stock.

M D "Doc" Nugent

carcentric

posted on 13/7/06 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
roll would be limited by the ARB, but wouldnt the upper arms bind in roll anyway?

I don't think I know enough to answer.

My thinking has been: If the (now removed) lower arms and the (now added) swaybar are located in the same places and move through the same arcs, I'd think the upper arms would only bind if they would have bound (binded?) on the original Datsun 210 donor car.

Do you suspect binding to be more likely in the outside arm (right arm in a left turn) or the inside arm? Maybe with more info, I can imagine what you're concerned about.

M D "Doc" Nugent

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.