Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto head scratching
omega0684

posted on 23/5/09 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
pinto head scratching

as you all know i broke down yesterday but managed to get the car back home and today ive been examining for any damage,

first thing that is noticeable is that the underside of the car and the nearside of the engine bay is cover in oil slime, i mean it goes all the way back to the rear of the car! i have cleaned all of the engine bay,tunnel and underside panels and i can't see oil coming out of anywhere but the crank case breather pipe. so im assuming that the front and rear crank seals are fine. took the starter motor off and there is no oil in the box bell housing, which is a relief.

so my only trail of thought at the moment is that there is an excessive amount of crank case pressure in the engine forcing oil out if the breather? what could be the cause of this? could this be the cause of my car spraying oil out of the breather and causing the car to over heat?

[Edited on 23/5/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 23/5/09 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Broken or worn rings, worn bores, damaged piston.
omega0684

posted on 23/5/09 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
take it ive got to compression test each cylinder then?

(p.s lets get the cat avatar revolution on the go again )

[Edited on 23/5/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
prawnabie

posted on 23/5/09 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Did the gauge show signs of increasing temp, or did it just blow?
omega0684

posted on 23/5/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
don't know didn't have the laptop connected up, temp gauge is un-reliable as the resistance of the sensor don't match that of the gauge - on thing i need to get sorted!
Guinness

posted on 23/5/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I remember DarrenW had some problems with his Pinto breathing heavily.

I'd try a compression test.

Slimy oil sounds like it's mixed with water.

Mike

omega0684

posted on 23/5/09 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
definately not mixing with oil, its black oil not the grey foamy sludge you get when oil mixes with water. im 99.9% confident the head gasket is fine, in fact all gaskets appear to be ok
Danozeman

posted on 23/5/09 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
You next port of call must be to do an compression test and see what youv got.

Whats your breather system like?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

omega0684

posted on 23/5/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
crank case breather on the nearside of the engine and rocker cover breather, only a standard oil filler car though, are they restrictive?this one

i think i need to upgrade to this one and run a pipe to a catch tank?

mitch2b

posted on 23/5/09 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
yep, that will help, mine breaths heavy, but my trouble is the valves, im getting valve seat regresion, did a type of comp test, Vacume in rather than compresion gauge, and defo coming out through exhaust on mine,
HTH
Mitch

Andy D

posted on 23/5/09 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
I remember DarrenW had some problems with his Pinto breathing heavily.

I'd try a compression test.

Slimy oil sounds like it's mixed with water.

Mike

I think Darren's problem was over filling? wrong dipstick or something?

So, have you got the oil at the correct level? is the crankcase breather clear?

MautoK

posted on 23/5/09 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
as you all know i broke down yesterday but managed to get the car back home and today ive been examining for any damage,

What were the symptoms of your breakdown?
And you mentioned overheating...?
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

omega0684

posted on 23/5/09 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
literally driving at 70 in 5th, started breaking for an island, depressed the clutch to select 3rd and as i depress the clutch the engine rev's drop and the engine died, stuck hazards on and stopped,

tried to restart, nothing, steam coming from my overflow pipe on the coolant system and oil spilling out onto the road from the crank case breather, then got towed home

mr henderson

posted on 23/5/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I can't think of any non-engine-internal problem that could cause that.

I think there is someone near you who is rebuilding a spare pinto engine, could be useful

John

omega0684

posted on 23/5/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson

I think there is someone near you who is rebuilding a spare pinto engine, could be useful

John

very witty

paulf

posted on 23/5/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds as if the head gasket coud be suspect especialy if you overheated it if the temp gauge is inacurrate.
Paul.
quote:
literally driving at 70 in 5th, started breaking for an island, depressed the clutch to select 3rd and as i depress the clutch the engine rev's drop and the engine died, stuck hazards on and stopped,

tried to restart, nothing, steam coming from my overflow pipe on the coolant system and oil spilling out onto the road from the crank case breather, then got towed home

omega0684

posted on 23/5/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
if my head gasket would have failed though would't i have blue smoke bellowing from the exhaust?
MautoK

posted on 23/5/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Trying to be logical:
1. Revs drop & engine dies - on the face of it, that has to be fuel starvation or ignition failure. A problem with one cylinder alone, even fairly catastrophic, would tend to lead to misfiring, not stopping.

2. Steam from o/flow - overheating, obviously, but had the water level dropped, was it audibly boiling? Poss overheat due to excessive retard? ... or possibly head gasket

3. Oil from breather - implies excessive crankcase pressurisation which one would normally attribute to ring failure.

The symptoms don't seem to have any commonality, which is extremely odd.
I guess you've been using the car some while with no problems and no prior hint of what happened?

I had crankcase pressurisation problems with an MG Midget some years back -soaked about three clutch plates before a bigger vent sorted it. (But your clutch is OK)
I've had engines die from fuel blockage to rotor arm breaking down (tracking through a crack to the distrib. shaft) and points falling apart ... and capacitor failure. Do you get spark?

As suggested already, I'd go for a comp. test first of all.

Baffling!

Sorry that's no real help, just 'thinking out loud'
John.

<if my head gasket would have failed though would't i have blue smoke bellowing from the exhaust?>
...wouldn't have thought so.

[Edited on 23/5/09 by MautoK]

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

MautoK

posted on 25/5/09 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Any progress?

DarrenW

posted on 26/5/09 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
My breather trouble was due to incorrect oil level (too high) caused by incorrect dipstick in a 2nd hand engine. Once corrected no issues since.

As you have already said id start with a compression test on all cylinders first.

I assume the engine has ran fine before and nothing settable (ie timing etc) has been changed.

Ive heard people talking about the oil relief valve sticking - could this be a potentail cause?

I use a vented cap in cylinder head piped to catch tank. Also use Cortina breather on side of block piped to same catch tank.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.