Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ride Height
Numb nuts

posted on 15/9/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ride Height

I have been going through my Velocity XT over the last year, putting straight some of the horror stories the previous owner put into the car

I am now at a point where I want to get the 4 wheel alignment / steering / camber / castor etc set up.

What ride height best suites the Velocity, and should this be set prior to it being taken for alignment. How is the best way to go about this?

austin man

posted on 15/9/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
height depends on usage and more importantly sump level I wouldnt be happy with a sump with less than 4" clearance on public roads

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Numb nuts

posted on 15/9/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I understand your reasoning...the road needing ground clearance to avoid de-sumping over speed bumps / pot holes etc. but what about track use? I have chopped the sump so it only hangs about an inch under the chassis line.
interestedparty

posted on 15/9/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
100mm from chassis to ground at the front, and a bit more at the back is a good average to start from.

At 75mm clearance under the sump you should be ok most of the time, just need to be careful on farm tracks etc. Shouldn't be a problem on the road.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

loggyboy

posted on 15/9/10 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldnt it be based on angles of the arms primeraly.(sp) You want to utilise as much evenness as possible to avoid geometry changes associated with bump steer etc.
alexg1965

posted on 15/9/10 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure the original advice from Luego was for the bottom wishbones to be parallel to the ground but worth checking with them
motivation cars

posted on 16/9/10 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
the bottom arms should be parallel

joe

Numb nuts

posted on 16/9/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice people, I set the bottom arms at parallel as suggested, and took it in for a remap/dyno to set up the new engine.

A test drive afterwards revealed no apparent bump steer...very well behaved It was loads better than it had been. I had been running too high at the front.

Next step check alignment/camber etc.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.