Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT tintop - possible to set camber/tyre wear?
Hadders

posted on 31/1/13 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
OT tintop - possible to set camber/tyre wear?

We have a 2003 Renault Megane. The nearside front tyre is wearing on the outside edge of the tread so I'm thinking the camber is too positive. However, there doesn't seem to be any adjustment available for this. Is this normal? Looking at the suspension, it seems all I can adjust is toe via the TRE's. If so then is it reasonable to assume that the tyre wear is due to worn bushes in the wishbones? The car has done 120,000 miles and would definitely benefit from new front dampers, so maybe the strut top bushes need replacing too?

Any thoughts/similar experiences from the collective?

TiA

Ben

bashracing

posted on 31/1/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
could it not be just toeing in?
Mark Allanson

posted on 31/1/13 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
LHF outer edge wear on tyres is usually due to energetic use of roundabouts rather any geometry issues, especially with 4x4's

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 31/1/13 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bashracing
could it not be just toeing in?

Out of toe would affect both tyres equally

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

daviep

posted on 31/1/13 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Worn bottom ball joint would be the simplest explanation, have you checked it for play?

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

britishtrident

posted on 31/1/13 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Because they roll more than most Renualts do tend to wear the outer edges of the front tyre heavily, daughters Nissan Note which is really a Renault wearing a kimono eats front tyres and as already mention entering roundabouts fast puts a lot of load on the outer edge of the the left front.

1 Check wishbone bushes and ball joints and track rods.
2 Check for broken or sagging spring ---- check front and rear springs
3 Check set toe-in in the as normally loaded condition --- setting to just on the toe-in side of parallel gives minimum wear

I can really recommend a Gunson Trackrite (driver over type) for accurately setting the toe-in.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

rusty nuts

posted on 31/1/13 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
A very large proportion of modern cars wear the outside edge of the N/S/F tyre, as already suggested it is due to roundabouts . Years ago it was common to change the wheels around when servicing a car to equalise tyre wear
Hadders

posted on 31/1/13 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Its the wife's car, so i can only assume she is taking roundabouts at 10 tenths!

We've had two new springs on the rear in the last two years and new drop links and TREs in the front, so I'm thinking lower wishbone bush maybe a bit knackered too. I ask as having replaced tyre on NSF the new one is wearing in the same way within a couple of months. Thanks for the advice. I'll do some more checks.

Cheers

Ben

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.