Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 5vy owners a few questions
Hadders

posted on 27/2/13 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
R1 5vy owners a few questions

Looking for a bit of advice - wondered what you have done with the following:

1. Neutral switch - leave connected to gearbox or short to earth? Would earthing it mean you could start engine in any gear?

2. Atmospheric pressure sensor - where did you put this? Is it critical where it goes?

3. AIS wiring (AIS has been removed) - do i need to short this out or can it be left just disconnected?

4. Airbox (AIS?) pipework - i have two pipes exiting the airbox which i assume need to be blocked off now the AIS has been removed. One is the right-angled movable one next to the intake air pressure sensor, the other is a fixed vertical one on the opposite side. Block these off, connect to each other, leave open?

5. Rad fan relay - mine is missing - assume I need to replace this - what type should I buy?

Many thanks

Ben

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 27/2/13 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not a 5VY, I'm a 5PW

1. I've connected this up so that you have to be in neutral to be able to start the engine - just in case.

2. I made a custom air box (well a m8 did) and we stuck this back in the air box where the original one was - check my archives, there's a picture of the air box in there. Normally, people can rotate their air boxes 180 degress and this will fit ok, thus meaning you don't need to take care of this problem.

3 & 4 are answered above.

5. Sorry, don't know - don't have my car here at the moment, so I can't have a look for you, but have you tried the wiring diagram?

adithorp

posted on 27/2/13 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
1. Yes, shorting the neutral sensor wire to earth will allow you to start in gear but it'll also prevent the dash neutral light operating. You can earth elsewhere in the loom to allow both (sorry can't remember where/which wire but I'll try and look it up tomorrow). Originally I left it but found it better to be able to start in gear (if you stall for instance it's not always possibly to find neutral).

2. Put it anywhere convenient.

3. Just disconnect it and tie out of the way. It doesn't effect running or generate a fault code.

4. Block off or feed your oil catch tank breather back in instead of to atmosphere. I did the later.

5. I'd jsut get a Yamaha replacement.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Hadders

posted on 27/2/13 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses guys.

Adithorp - the info on the neutral switch earth mod would be great. It would be good to have the neutral light and the gear indicator active on the Digidash.

Cheers

Ben

adithorp

posted on 27/2/13 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
You could earth the R1 loom neutral wire but use the switch to trigger the digidash. I'm no digidash expert though; I'm using the R1 clocks (complete with diagnostics which you won't get with the Digidash)

Just looked at the wiring diagram and I did it by cutting the light blue wire from the Starter cut-off relay and shorting the relay side to earth. Disconnecting the light blue/white wire (comes from the dash) from the relay and connecting it direct to the remaining light blue to the neutral switch.

[Edited on 27/2/13 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 27/2/13 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought on the fan relay. I use a standard 4 pin relay (any commercial source) fired from an M22 fan switch screwed into the (ubiquitous) Polo radiator. The ECU then plays no part in firing the fan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.