Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Manual 4 Post Car Lift
Wheels244

posted on 11/7/23 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Manual 4 Post Car Lift

Would anyone be interested in my Manual 4 Post Car Lift ?

Has had my Locost sat on it for (too) many years.

The person I bought it from stored an E- Type Jag on it.

It is VERY solid and rather heavy.

Really useful for storage of a vehicle, can get another underneath it, depending on size.

Only reason I’m selling is I’ve been offered a single post lift from a friend.

It’s ideal for garages without power.

I’ve added brackets to allow the track width to be adjustable.

It lifts and lowers using 2 manual winches.

I was thinking about £250 - it must be worth that in scrap value.

I can either remove it ready for collection, of if someone wants it, I could dismantle it with them so they can see how it goes together, although it is quite explanatory.

Any question, feel free to ask.

Lift 1
Lift 1

Lift 2
Lift 2

Lift 3
Lift 3

Lift 4
Lift 4

Lift 5
Lift 5

Lift 6
Lift 6

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

roadrunner

posted on 12/7/23 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
If only I had a bigger garage
Slimy38

posted on 12/7/23 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
If only I had a bigger garage

Same, by the looks of it I'd need an extra couple of feet height and probably the same again on the length. Considering there's a bedroom above the garage I doubt my missus will want me knocking through the ceiling.

adampage

posted on 12/7/23 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting....

Hey, can i ask a few questions about this one?
- What are the outside sizes? And length of longest individual part (assume wheel tracks)?
- What failsafes are there when it's winched up, any lockouts or props etc?
- How high can it winch the platform up to?
- Idea of max load in kg? Assume Locost is no problem, but what about mini / mx5 / etc?
- Is it in Yorkshire to pick up?
- Is it homebuilt or from a kit / manufacturer?

Thanks
Ad

Wheels244

posted on 12/7/23 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ad

Please see the responses against your questions below.

quote:
Originally posted by adampage
Hey, can i ask a few questions about this one?

- What are the outside sizes? And length of longest individual part (assume wheel tracks)?
Width of the uprights = 2540 + 75 either side for the floor pads. The track width is currently 1840, but can be narrowed by up to 280 due the brackets I’ve added and adjustable for any width between. The overall length of the tracks is 3880.

- What failsafes are there when it's winched up, any lockouts or props etc?
The uprights have holes drilled in all four legs. I use 4x20mm bolts as pins and lower the lifting part onto them so they take the full weight and there’s no load left on the winches. They won’t be shearing anytime soon.

- How high can it winch the platform up to ?
The underneath of the horizontal beam that you can see in the pics measures 1415 from the floor - this could be increased by drilling more holes in the uprights and adjusting the turnbuckles.

- Idea of max load in kg? Assume Locost is no problem, but what about mini / mx5 / etc?
No idea to be honest, it’s definitely had an E- Type on it, obviously my Locost - I’m positive there wouldn’t be any issue with a Mini or an MX5. I’m sure the steelwork could easily manage a Transit van ! But I think the limiting factor would be the winches.

- Is it in Yorkshire to pick up?
Yes, I’m near Bedale, North Yorkshire.
(There is a limited potential for delivery)

- Is it homebuilt or from a kit / manufacturer?
I think it was commissioned by the E Type owner. It’s been well made, but I would suggest it’s been made in a Fab Shop somewhere. To manage expectations, it’s robust - but you won’t find any LOLER compliance certificates or testing - if that’s what you’re looking for, this probably isn’t for you.

Thanks
Ad

Happy to supply any more info required.

I’m away with work shortly, it won’t actually be available until the end of August.

adampage

posted on 12/7/23 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks!

Awesome, thanks for that, really helpful.

Let me have a measure up and a think, I’ll let you know, but if anyone else goes for it quickly then no worries

Thanks
Ad

wrayvon

posted on 14/7/23 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
If only I had a wider/longer/higher garage!
Sanzomat

posted on 18/7/23 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm quite interested in this as a possible solution to store my Locost above my GTM. Looking at the dimensions you gave earlier it seems the width including the baseplates is 2690. My garage is 2700 wide so a bit tight but might just work!! I note from the images however that the hand winches are outside the uprights and appear to be wider than the baseplates? Could the winches work turned through 90 degrees so to be on the front or back rather than the side of the upright?

What is the height of the uprights?

My other query would be regarding the total weight. I have a car transporter trailer with a payload of 1125kg. My wheel beds are only 3350 long so your tracks at 3880 would overhang but evened out that is only a 265mm overhang each end so should be okay length wise. I'm wondering if it could all go on the trailer. Only 250 miles each way!!!

Wheels244

posted on 22/7/23 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies - just seen the post, I’m working away at the moment.

I’d have to check your queries when I get home.

I ‘think’ it would be possible to mount the winches at 90 degrees, but would need to check. The crossbeams could be cut and rewelded to reduce the width if required.

I’ll measure the uprights when I get home.

I don’t think you’d have any problem loading it onto a car transporter trailer - I borrowed a friends twin axle builders trailer when I bought it.

quote:
Originally posted by Sanzomat
I'm quite interested in this as a possible solution to store my Locost above my GTM. Looking at the dimensions you gave earlier it seems the width including the baseplates is 2690. My garage is 2700 wide so a bit tight but might just work!! I note from the images however that the hand winches are outside the uprights and appear to be wider than the baseplates? Could the winches work turned through 90 degrees so to be on the front or back rather than the side of the upright?

What is the height of the uprights?

My other query would be regarding the total weight. I have a car transporter trailer with a payload of 1125kg. My wheel beds are only 3350 long so your tracks at 3880 would overhang but evened out that is only a 265mm overhang each end so should be okay length wise. I'm wondering if it could all go on the trailer. Only 250 miles each way!!!

Wheels244

posted on 17/10/23 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Last call for the lift before I either repurpose it, or weigh it in for scrap.

I’ll be taking it out a week on Wednesday to fit the single post.

Wheels244

posted on 15/11/23 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Sold

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.