Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 30 thou bow on 2 litre zetec head
stargoaly

posted on 2/9/06 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
30 thou bow on 2 litre zetec head

Checked head after porting. Had a "Senior Moment", or is it cause I'm new to this game. Anyhow has anyone got a spare MK 1 - 2 litre zetec head they want to get shut off.
gazza285

posted on 2/9/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
How much can you skim off a Zetec? 30 thou is nothing off a Crossflow, but I don't know about these new fangled things.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 2/9/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
30 thou? Whats that in new (post Roman times) money.

Me thinks a skim should true it up. Problem is these engines dont generally suffer from warped head, must have been cooked big time dude

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 2/9/06 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
0.75mm
gazza285

posted on 2/9/06 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
0.75 ish to be exact

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 2/9/06 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
ohh come on 0.75mm is as close as eggs
stargoaly

posted on 2/9/06 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your interest guys. Liam is quite right its around 0.75mm ish. I still think in old money. The engine I bought did have a blown gasket, but I did not think the head would have this amount of distortion (Experience is what you get when things go wrong). I have looked at threads on this site and others and it seems tha you should only take about 0.1 to 0.15 mm off these hesda otherwise there is a chance that the valves might interfere with the pistons. These engines have flat topped pistons which stroke right to the top off the engine and the combustion chamber is quite shallow.

Any way anybody got a head laying around (With a flat surface) they have no further use for

virgin builder

itguy

posted on 3/9/06 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Speak to Mike Tanski at Ferriday Engineering - he'll take the 30thou of the head (or whatever it needs to be true) and then sell you a decompression plate for the block (a bit like another head gasket) of the right thickness for you to not have to worry about the amount you have shaved off.

Either that or do a dry assembly and see if it does make the valves interfere, if it doesn't then work out the new compression ratio and you may want to keep it that way

What cams are you running? High lift?

TangoMan

posted on 3/9/06 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
0.75 ish to be exact

How can "ish" be exact??

Summer's here!!!!

stargoaly

posted on 3/9/06 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info "itguy". I am running standard cams

virgin builder

roadboy

posted on 3/9/06 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
I would think running standard cams a 30 thou skim would make no difference to piston clerances.
HTH
Ian

Jude Performance Services

itguy

posted on 3/9/06 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Its best to speak to Mike Tanski (Ferriday Engineering)

Very knowledgable and won't try to sell you anything, just gives advice on whats best given any situation - GREAT guy.

chriscook

posted on 3/9/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
You should be able to find out a minimum head height somewhere in a haynes/workshop manual. If taking the 30thou/0.75mm off your current height takes you less than that then you'll have problems or need to get a decompression plate (or two head gaskets if you want to be a cowboy!)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.