Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3 litre Jag XJ on an 03 plate
jobsagooden

posted on 28/6/07 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
3 litre Jag XJ on an 03 plate

As above I've got one of these and it went in for it's 50,000 mile service yesterday (not so locost! )

Anyway at 20000 miles it had full rear disks and pads and I've just been told it needs them again it's never had the front disks and pads done and the garage says they won't need doing for another 5000 miles. I find it a bit odd to need 2 sets of rears in the same amount of time of only needing to change once on the front and at £359 for the job it's pricey.

Anybody else think this is odd am I being had.

cheers
PJ

speedyxjs

posted on 28/6/07 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
That is a bit strange
I have a 97 XJ and looking in its service history it has had more front brakes than rears.
Are you a member of the Jaguar Entusiasts Club? If not i will post this on their forum for you. They are quite good at problem solving.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

jobsagooden

posted on 28/6/07 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
speedy

I'm not a member so would appreciate it if you could post it on there that would be great. Have you ever had problems with corrosion on the disks? thought this could be it but think I'm clutching at straws really.

PJ

iank

posted on 28/6/07 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Is it warping rear disks or wearing them out? They should tell you why they are replacing them (indeed the old disks are yours and you can demand to take them away after replacement and check them yourself).

If warping are you driving a lot of stop start trips and using the handbrake at traffic lights/queues? On some cars thats a virtual guarantee of warping as the hot pad is pressed onto one patch of disk.

I'd expect them to automatically change pads when they change the disks.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

speedyxjs

posted on 28/6/07 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Iv actually got a sticking throttle so its wearing my disks quite badly (apparently could be ecu ) but i havnt had a problem like this.
Will post on there now and u2u when i have a reply (sometimes takes a day or two)

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

jobsagooden

posted on 28/6/07 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
This car is only really used for longer journeys i.e. 30 miles or more. It has an automatic hand brake so it probably comes on at times you wouldn't normally use it but can't see that effecting it all too much. The disks definitely don't appear warped.
ecosse

posted on 28/6/07 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Iv actually got a sticking throttle

I had the same problem with mine, turned out to be the TB gummed up, seems to be a common fault with them

Cheers

Alex

russbost

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Measure the disc thickness & ask them for the Manufacturers specified minimum thickness to compare. For MoT Vosa specifically say that a disc only warrants failing if it is on the point of breaking, not a point of view I agree with!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
britishtrident

posted on 28/6/07 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jobsagooden
As above I've got one of these and it went in for it's 50,000 mile service yesterday (not so locost! )

Anyway at 20000 miles it had full rear disks and pads and I've just been told it needs them again it's never had the front disks and pads done and the garage says they won't need doing for another 5000 miles. I find it a bit odd to need 2 sets of rears in the same amount of time of only needing to change once on the front and at £359 for the job it's pricey.

Anybody else think this is odd am I being had.

cheers
PJ

These days with normal driving I would expect pad life to be cover 60,000 mile HOWEVER Because of ridiculouly long full service intervals most manufacturers recommend changing pads at or before 50% wear. - changing pads at 50% wear is probably a good idea anyway.

As to changing the disks unless they are rusted I suspect you are being sold a line.
Even if they aren't it is worth eye-balling them yourself or getting a small back street garage to check them for corrosion and thickness

[Edited on 28/6/07 by britishtrident]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.