Author: Subject: Fuel Protest
woodster

posted on 2/10/07 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Protest

Quick fill up .............. i,m not tryin to start a panic ... honest

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/20536/Truckers-threaten-fuel-protests

smart51

posted on 2/10/07 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Oh for goodness' sake! Why don't they just sod off rather than making the lives of ordianry people miserable for weeks.

If you want to lobby the government, do it to them not us. Morons.

woodster

posted on 2/10/07 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

If you want to lobby the government, do it to them not us. Morons.

Morons.. is that the fuel protesters or the goverment

westcost1

posted on 2/10/07 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
or us on here?
twybrow

posted on 2/10/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I love driving, and I love cars more than anything, buit sooner or later, we are going to have to find another form of fuel/transport. What are the hauliers going to do then? Fuel prices are going to rise year on year as the reserves run low. Maybe instead of wasting time and money on blockades, the haulage firms should look into the use of biofuels to run their trucks with?

02GF74

posted on 2/10/07 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it will happen.

Last time the govt pushed through emergency powers to remove hauliers licenses of protestors.

I cannot recall the govt backing down last time so it won't achieve anything.

Remember the govt has 2 ongoing wars to pay for - the only way to protest is via the polling station.

[Edited on 2/10/07 by 02GF74]

peterparsons

posted on 2/10/07 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I work for an oil company.
Do you know how much the oil company makes on fuel - approx 25-30p per Litre all the rest is tax - 75p tax.
boycot the goverment, not the producer.

[Edited on 2/10/07 by peterparsons]

VinceGledhill

posted on 2/10/07 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
The only problem is the government and scroungers.

The scroungers who won't work take money out of the bucket. They are the holes in the bottom. The problem we have is that every normal working person in this country has to pay for every single hole in the bucket.

If they plugged the holes in the chancelors bucket we wouldn't have to keep filling it up so much.

But they won't because each and every scrounger is a voter.

Rant over.;-)

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

BenB

posted on 2/10/07 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
the companies make a lot more money than say, dairy farmers!!!

Yes, the government also takes a lot in tax but pissing off the general public is generally a bad way to get them on your side!!
Rolling road blocks etc just are annoying and frustrating.

If they don't like the price they have to pay for fuel tough. I don't like paying over two pounds for a pint of beer but if I padlocked myself to the doors of the pub, thereby preventing people who were prepared to pay that much in I doubt I would be very popular.... If they choose to barracade depots "because they can" I see no reason why I shouldn't set fire to their tankers "because I can".

A demonstration would not prevent the fuel depots from working. They prefer to rely on blackmail.

The government is putting up the price of petrol by 4p over a year. When fuel is currently around a pound, that's near enough inflation.

They're just threatening to hold the country ransom.... Great...

coozer

posted on 2/10/07 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I think we should all support a fuel protest. Its the only way the government will takes us all seriously.

I'm all for voting with direct action. Anyone with me??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

BenB

posted on 2/10/07 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Fine! don't buy petrol for a month. If people who cared did that they'd soon take notice.

How about buying a diesel car and then run it on biodiesel (no tax at all if you make it yourself unless you make something like 2000L per person per household)....

Individual protest is fine. Just f#cking up everyone else's day is a bit annoying and to be fair a bit selfish!!!

twybrow

posted on 2/10/07 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
No! Take us seriously? You think if enough people drive slowly up the motor way then the govenrnment will do a sudden U-turn?

Fuel companies make a lot of money, the government makes even more. But at least the government send some of it back our way, in the form of the public services. I dont begrudge them for taxing us, we demand public serivces and they have to be paid somehow.

And Ben, too bloody right about farmers. Most of them make so little money it is scary!

wyatt

posted on 2/10/07 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
If I remember rightly the government passed a law so that the refineries could not be blockaded so the can only do a go slow on a motorway as long as they don’t get nicked for dangerous driving or though the centre of London as long as they pay the congestion charge!!!!!!

www.bynxy.co.uk

BenB

posted on 2/10/07 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Lorry drivers do a go slow every flipping day by overtaking each other over 10 miles just because their lorry is going 1 mph faster than the one in front....

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

They could apply for permission to protest outside the house of commons. they could all start making biodiesel. Why not? They could all lobby their MP and annoy the people who make the decisions.

Annoying people who don't mind paying £1 (and don't have a choice) per litre is stupid.

The government hasn't IIRC banned peaceful protests outside refineries, they've banned protests that prevent the refinery from working normally. Which is fair enough....

Threatening to put the road system into gridlock unless they get their way is tantamount to terrorism. They should just lock 'em up

If they don't like paying that much for fuel tough. They're just bitching because the fuel price makes their business of polluting the country unprofitable- which is kind of the idea

If dairy farmers stopped making milk because it's not worth it anymore I'd support them. threatening to put turbolax into the milk supply I wouldn't. Same difference...

MkIndy7

posted on 2/10/07 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
From what i've heard the UK tax doesn't effect clever HGV's companies that badly anyway.

If a Haulage company has any Foreign runs they get their drivers to fill up there where the diesel is cheepest.

A company my uncle worked for took on a contract that took them to Ireland once a week, they fitted extra tanks and just filled up once a week when they went there. Smart thinking

Dangle_kt

posted on 2/10/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
I welcome a blockade persoanlly. Yes it will stuff my weekend, but I don't mind.

I want the govt to know that taxing us the way they do on petrol is unacceptable.

Last time when prices neared £1.00 per litre it all kicked off and for the next few years we have benifited from 80-90ish per litre, this last year I noticed them creeping back up and wondered how long it would take.

I dont like the large amount of lorries on our roads, but I also don't like paying a few hundred percent tax on fuel.

Go lorry drivers.

omega 24 v6

posted on 2/10/07 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with the blockade too. It doesn't however affect me in getting to or doing my job. IMHO we (the motorist) are coughing up cash out of every orrifce in order to keep the country going and just when your wallets about empty well you get a speeding fine or a parking ticket or suchlike because WE ARE THE ONLY LAWBREAKERS THAT ARE BEING CAUGHT:ma
And we usually pay up on the spot and don't go to court to contest. Just as well because they're full of lazy, drunken, useless, goodfor nothing, drug addicted, skiving, scrounging arseholes, who don't pay a single penny in tax and get off with a caution or probation. AAAAAAAARRRRRGHHH this is why it's time we made a stand. I'm fed up being porked up the pooper by this country.

And breath rant over

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 2/10/07 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
What annoys me is that tax on petrol is not a percentage of the fuel price - its a duty that the government increase year on year irrelevant to what the true fuel price is. The government are now making something rapidly approaching 65p per litre from this - and despite what the government might like people to think, the petrochemical companies dont make a great deal (comparatively) from fuel sales - maybe a penny or so per litre. I know Shell have historically made more money from the shops at the filling stations than from fuel sales themselves. You can look at their huge profits but most of that comes from the dozens of other chemicals produced from crude oil refining.

Just another typical example of this wasteful government throwing money into certain areas to try and look good (to win votes), and using the green issue as an excuse to start hammering the motorist (and haulage industry) yet again in order to raise more tax to pay for their dumb policies (like this pointless law to allow access to phonecalls).

[Edited on 2/10/07 by Paul TigerB6]

coozer

posted on 2/10/07 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Well said omega 24 v6. I'm with you.

I really want to get away from this country now but I don't want to be an immigrant anywhere!

I just wish I could get the 6 numbers them we'd be off!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Simon

posted on 2/10/07 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Dairy farmers don't make much. Hmmm, no, but I just asked the wife how much the milk costs - about 90p for 2 pints, so very roughly 3.60 gallon. Blame the supermarkets.

Fuel prices are a rip off - period. Crude has been running out since the first well was struck, and will continue to run out for the next thousand years.

If we are really that close to running out, how came the oil companies haven't gone into farming.

The whole thing is a load of bull designed to get the people panicking, the government taxes and the media a good story.

If successive goverments weren't so incompetent at looking after, and spending wisely our taxes, fuel would be half its current price.

ATB

Simon

andyps

posted on 2/10/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I would fully support any protest, and join in if at all possible. we have one of, if not the, highest fuel tax rates in the world. It is not just the hauliers who pay for it, we all do. Practically everything anyone buys gets to the shop it is bought from by truck so the increased cost gets passed on, or the haulier goes out of business. They have a right to protest and I support that right, even if I would be massively inconvenienced by it - I do 20k miles a year and there are very few of them for which I have an alternative to driving.

But just about everyone on here has missed the point - its not about the tax, its about the environment and apparently we are all getting the message now. So get out of your cars, trucks, buses and anything else and walk or cycle, its for the good of the planet and nothing to do with the fact that you have to pay more to help Gordon and his pals cover up the poo they have landed the UK economy in.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

JoelP

posted on 2/10/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
you should protest about the gov wasting money, not about how they get it. I dont mind about the fuel costs myself, and think a blockade on the motorway is bang out of order. If i got caught in one when i was in a rush id be contemplating murder.

Fact is, at least fuel tax is something the pikeys have to pay (assuming they're not running red diesel etc).

Id rather protest about the olympics myself.

Simon

posted on 2/10/07 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyps
...... its about the environment and apparently

Hook, line and sinker to Gordon Brown!

ATB

Simon

Paul TigerB6

posted on 2/10/07 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

Fact is, at least fuel tax is something the pikeys have to pay (assuming they're not running red diesel etc).

They pay sod all when they are siphoning it out of your petrol tank!!!

Sorry but i have a serious issue when the government takes about £35 billion out of motorists per year in tax (without the speeding tax) and then spends about £7billion on the roads. Bugger all to do with being green - its just an easy target for the robbing ba$t&rds who "run" this country

bob

posted on 3/10/07 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Does the £ to $ exchange rate not affect the price of a barrel ?

I was thinking that since we pay for barrels in $ and since we now get 2 to 1 in our favour, also i was told (might not be true offcourse) that the price of a barrel of oil now is the same price as when the exchange rate was $1.50 to £ .

i'll get on with some jobs maybe i'm thinking too much

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.