Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: chassis for a rover v8
richsarg

posted on 23/1/08 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
chassis for a rover v8

does any body have plans for a locost chassis that a rover v8 can be fitted too? also can any body tell me what the best diff setup is for this kind of build and any other useful info
onzarob

posted on 23/1/08 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
http://mcsorley.net/locost/

the +4 plans or 442 will work.

sammy

posted on 23/1/08 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Problems to consider:
- engine height (my sump is 2 inches below the bottom rail and I will still need a large bonnet bulge)
- the LT77 bell housing is very big (tall and wide) even in a +4 wide chassis

There is a McSorely design (sorry dont have a link to hand) which is wider and also taller than the book and can be downloaded for free; this is probably the best option for a RV8 if you are going to make your own chassis.

I have seen a RV8 squeezed into an MK chassis; I think MK will supply a suitably modified chassis if you ask them.

I am hoping my standard sierra diff will work, I think it will handle the power but not sure if about the gearing!

Build diaries...

sammy

posted on 23/1/08 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onzarob
http://mcsorley.net/locost/

the +4 plans or 442 will work.

Thats the one, I think the 442 will work better with the RV8's height!

Build diaries...

AdamR

posted on 23/1/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
A V8 will fit in to a Haynes Roadster chassis without too much bother. The advantage of that approach is that you can buy off the shelf bodywork and the wider chassis' can look...um...too wide.

Having said that, I'm building a +4 with a few tweaks to improve strength and stiffness. This is 2 inches wider than a Roadster and that extra space will make life slightly easier.

Have a look at the McSorley plans and check out Cymtriks' ideas for mods (do a search on here).

AdamR

posted on 23/1/08 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
PS. Personally I don't like the proportions of the +442, but it would save some faffing around as you can use a standard nosecone.

There's nothing to stop you adding extra height to a +4 design - that's what I did by using 50x25 box section for the top rails.

Simon

posted on 23/1/08 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Deimos built per Ron Champions book, but +4" wider (added to all tranverse dimensions).

The sump does sit low in my chassis, but I'm fitting fuel injection etc which will sit through a hole in bonnet (I should point out that I've milled about 1.5" from the height of my injection bits). See avatar for scoop over carbs - and that was after some surgery following SVA examiner (approx 4'6" tall) saying he couldn't see over bonnet.

ATB

Simon

wilkingj

posted on 25/1/08 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
What about a Viento Chassis... ready made and stress tested for the LArger engines out there (And us Larger guys):

Linky

[Edited on 25/1/2008 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.