Board logo

2WD 2.9i sump
TL - 20/2/05 at 10:11 PM

Hi,

Does anyone have a 2WD sump to fit a 2.9i v6?
and...... you guessed it: does anyone want a 4x4 2.9 sump & front diff? Also got a transfer box to get rid of.

Before you ask, no, I don't have any other bits of the 4x4!!

JoelP - 20/2/05 at 10:16 PM

hi mate. have you managed to convert the 4wd box to 2wd? if so, was it easy? ive got a 4x4 engine and box ATM ya see, cant bear to scrap it.

Peteff - 20/2/05 at 10:51 PM

Does the 2.4 Granada sump fit it? you might find one in a scrapyard to try out.

ChrisW - 20/2/05 at 11:48 PM

I had a good mate of mine who used to build Fordgearboxes for living look at doing the swap (RWD tail on a 4WD box). The solution? Easier, quicker, and cheaper to find a Capri 2.8 and rob the gearbox off it!

Chris

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
hi mate. have you managed to convert the 4wd box to 2wd? if so, was it easy? ive got a 4x4 engine and box ATM ya see, cant bear to scrap it.

TL - 21/2/05 at 10:29 PM

JoelP: No, I haven't converted it yet. In my gearbox collection I now have a 2.9 4x4 box and a 2.0DOHC RWD box. ATM I don't know if the input shafts are the same length (i.e I don't know if it is like the type 9 where the shafts are different for Pinto & 2.8). Best case scenario is that input shaft is interchangeble, so in effect all I have to do is change the "bellhousing" (not too difficult - I stripped & rebuilt another MT75 a while back). Second best scenario is that input shafts need swapping, but 1st gear ratio is the same on both. (I have not yet checked).
3rd best scenario (if 1 & 2 don't work) is that 5th gear ratio is the same, so I can use the guts of the 2.9 box but the output shaft of the 2.0. 4Th scenario is that I just stick with the 3.0 Essex lump & 4spd+overdrive box that God intended to go in a Scimitar, and which I already have. 5th scenario is that I question why I am bothering, why can't I just be happy with a boring car, and get very drunk!!!
ChrisW: I know that works for the 2.8 & type9 box, but 2.9s came with the MT75 box. I don't know if you can fit a type9 to a 2.9 (or an MT75 to a 2.8). I would prefer the MT75, as it is a better box.
If & when I do convert, I will let you know whats invloved. Meanwhile JoelP, don't bin the 2.9 & box just yet.

[Edited on 21/2/05 by TL]

[Edited on 21/2/05 by TL]

TL - 2/4/05 at 09:52 PM

Update for MT75 enthusiasts:

1. Just had a quick look at my 2 MT75's:
The input shafts are different; V6 one protrudes by about 30mm (by eye only, no measuring sticks involved). The 4pot box shaft protrudes by only 3-5mm. The splines on both boxes start at about the same place; i.e about 20mm inside the bellhousing, so the extra length of the V6 shaft is all spigot and not spline. Therefore, we must hope that the 1st gear ratios of the 2 boxes are the same, so I only have to change the first motion shaft (input shaft); If 1st gear ratios are different, I will have to use the V6 layshaft assembly, so I must hope that the back end (i.e 5th gear) is interchangeable.

I won't be doing any more work on these for a few months, as this part of the project is on the back burner, but I will update when I know more.

2. I get the impression (from a number of sources) that the Type9 and MT75 are interchangeable, as the 2.9 block & 2.8 block are the same - alledgedly!!

ChrisW - 2/4/05 at 10:19 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=v6gearbox.jpg

That's the v6 dimensions.

Chris