Board logo

A bit of help from a plumber
stevebubs - 12/10/08 at 07:36 PM

Is anyone here able to bend up a 2 inch piece of chromed 15mm copper pipe so that it has a 1 inch offset (like an S bend)

Something like this then pic below.

Trying to plumb a towel radiator in at my dad's and there isn't enough room to install standard compression fittings to do the job. Rescued attachment pipe.JPG
Rescued attachment pipe.JPG

JoelP - 12/10/08 at 07:49 PM

dont think you will manage such tight bends without deforming the ends so you cant join to it. Your best approach might be using a street elbow, ie male to female. Dead easy to soldier if you get solder ring fittings.

JoelP - 12/10/08 at 07:50 PM

like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88168/Plumbing/Solder-Ring-Fittings/Yorkshire-Solder-Ring-Street-Elbow-YPS12S-15mm

adam1985 - 12/10/08 at 07:55 PM

no chance only way is like said above really then paint it if you want

stevebubs - 12/10/08 at 08:13 PM

Bugger.....Using this link

http://www.ciphe.org.uk/student/pipebend.pdf

and a bit of trig leads me to a magic figure of 86mm for the length of pipe and then you have to add tails for connection (10mm each end roughly)

Was hoping there would be a trick somewhere...

JoelP - 12/10/08 at 08:28 PM

i think it would be the radius that made it impossible. My bender makes curves about 3 or 4 inch radius, you need more like an inch.

jacko - 12/10/08 at 08:34 PM

How about cutting the pipe and tig welding ?

mr henderson - 12/10/08 at 08:38 PM

Plastic pipe?

stevebubs - 12/10/08 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
Plastic pipe?

On show so needs to be chrome....

tootall - 12/10/08 at 09:18 PM

i have i old school pipe bender its like a tightly wound spring u slide it inside then bend it over your knee or something like it. it would help to warm it up over a soft flame to softern the copper it stays really soft even when cool then hardens off over time (days weeks etc) then u could make those close bends then cut to legnth

Peteff - 12/10/08 at 10:23 PM

Do it in copper then paint it with some chrome aerosol paint. It looks good enough to use in a bathroom.

stevebubs - 12/10/08 at 11:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tootall
i have i old school pipe bender its like a tightly wound spring u slide it inside then bend it over your knee or something like it. it would help to warm it up over a soft flame to softern the copper it stays really soft even when cool then hardens off over time (days weeks etc) then u could make those close bends then cut to legnth

I have a pipe spring - was going to try sticking it in the workbench and vice and forcing the bend....

Also thought about packing with sand/salt and then forcing it in a similar manner...

heating it to make it more plyable would surely discolour the chrome, though...

[Edited on 12/10/08 by stevebubs]

adam1985 - 13/10/08 at 11:06 AM

from any time ive seen them springs being used they dont seem to get the bend as tight as a pipe bender