Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MIG Welder
chunkielad

posted on 16/2/05 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
MIG Welder

Looking for a cheap, reliable and fully working MIG.

Prefer 160A or greater.

[Edited on 16/2/05 by chunkielad]

Lotusmark2

posted on 16/2/05 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Dont forget that anything over 150A runs the risk of tripping out a normal domestic supply mate.
If you just want it for welding your chassis, anything over 100A will do it fine.
Mark
(105 amp will do 1-4.5mm)

chunkielad

posted on 16/2/05 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Ahhh, the local welding geezer said nothing under 160A!!! I think he's misunderstanding my needs

Anyone with a welder over 100A?

locogeoff

posted on 16/2/05 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 160A, never had any problems until I strated using it through a 16A RCD. On the two highest settings the RCD would trip out, so I took a feed off of the back of the main 32A RCD and no problems. Switched the 16A for a 20A and bingo no problems. I think the welder must have been instantaneously drawing more than 16A enough to trip out the RCD but not long enough to blow the 13A fuse in the plug.

In short, I'm not an electrician, but if its manufactured with a 13A fused plug then you should be able to plug it into any 13A socket.

I believe in the bigger the better, a big transformer running at half pelt is better than a small transformer running at full pelt, it wont overheat as quickly for one thing, heard of small welders having problems doing aluminium, but haven't tried myself so can't properly comment.

Geoff

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.