Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2WD 2.9i sump
TL

posted on 20/2/05 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
2WD 2.9i sump

Hi,

Does anyone have a 2WD sump to fit a 2.9i v6?
and...... you guessed it: does anyone want a 4x4 2.9 sump & front diff? Also got a transfer box to get rid of.

Before you ask, no, I don't have any other bits of the 4x4!!

Cheers,

Terry

JoelP

posted on 20/2/05 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
hi mate. have you managed to convert the 4wd box to 2wd? if so, was it easy? ive got a 4x4 engine and box ATM ya see, cant bear to scrap it.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Peteff

posted on 20/2/05 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Does the 2.4 Granada sump fit it? you might find one in a scrapyard to try out.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ChrisW

posted on 20/2/05 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
I had a good mate of mine who used to build Fordgearboxes for living look at doing the swap (RWD tail on a 4WD box). The solution? Easier, quicker, and cheaper to find a Capri 2.8 and rob the gearbox off it!

Chris

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
hi mate. have you managed to convert the 4wd box to 2wd? if so, was it easy? ive got a 4x4 engine and box ATM ya see, cant bear to scrap it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TL

posted on 21/2/05 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
JoelP: No, I haven't converted it yet. In my gearbox collection I now have a 2.9 4x4 box and a 2.0DOHC RWD box. ATM I don't know if the input shafts are the same length (i.e I don't know if it is like the type 9 where the shafts are different for Pinto & 2.8). Best case scenario is that input shaft is interchangeble, so in effect all I have to do is change the "bellhousing" (not too difficult - I stripped & rebuilt another MT75 a while back). Second best scenario is that input shafts need swapping, but 1st gear ratio is the same on both. (I have not yet checked).
3rd best scenario (if 1 & 2 don't work) is that 5th gear ratio is the same, so I can use the guts of the 2.9 box but the output shaft of the 2.0. 4Th scenario is that I just stick with the 3.0 Essex lump & 4spd+overdrive box that God intended to go in a Scimitar, and which I already have. 5th scenario is that I question why I am bothering, why can't I just be happy with a boring car, and get very drunk!!!
ChrisW: I know that works for the 2.8 & type9 box, but 2.9s came with the MT75 box. I don't know if you can fit a type9 to a 2.9 (or an MT75 to a 2.8). I would prefer the MT75, as it is a better box.
If & when I do convert, I will let you know whats invloved. Meanwhile JoelP, don't bin the 2.9 & box just yet.

[Edited on 21/2/05 by TL]

[Edited on 21/2/05 by TL]

Cheers,

Terry

TL

posted on 2/4/05 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Update for MT75 enthusiasts:

1. Just had a quick look at my 2 MT75's:
The input shafts are different; V6 one protrudes by about 30mm (by eye only, no measuring sticks involved). The 4pot box shaft protrudes by only 3-5mm. The splines on both boxes start at about the same place; i.e about 20mm inside the bellhousing, so the extra length of the V6 shaft is all spigot and not spline. Therefore, we must hope that the 1st gear ratios of the 2 boxes are the same, so I only have to change the first motion shaft (input shaft); If 1st gear ratios are different, I will have to use the V6 layshaft assembly, so I must hope that the back end (i.e 5th gear) is interchangeable.

I won't be doing any more work on these for a few months, as this part of the project is on the back burner, but I will update when I know more.

2. I get the impression (from a number of sources) that the Type9 and MT75 are interchangeable, as the 2.9 block & 2.8 block are the same - alledgedly!!

Cheers,

Terry

ChrisW

posted on 2/4/05 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=v6gearbox.jpg

That's the v6 dimensions.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.