Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GRP finishing
Cornholio351239

posted on 1/4/07 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
GRP finishing

Just picked up a 'nearly' SVE ready Tiger Avon. One of the big jobs I have to do is tidy the bodywork as it has lines around the bottom of the side panels, rear arches which I assume are from the GRP mould process. I was under the impression that the body panels just needed cutting and riviting / bolting in place, this looks like it would need to be sprayed after sanding. Is this normal?? Rescued attachment DSCF1983.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF1983.JPG

RazMan

posted on 1/4/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
By the looks of it that is mostly mould wax left behind when it was pulled out of the mould. If the scratches are just in the gelcoat then you might get away with rubbing it down with very fine wet & dry (1200 - 2400) and a weak soapy solution. After that use rubbing compound and finally a good polish.

If the damage goes deeper then painting is your only option.

[Edited on 1-4-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chenti

posted on 1/4/07 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a 'finished' Avon and mine still has the flah lines on it, they should rub out with a fair bit of wet n dry...use 800/1200 with warm soapy water...
Will need a good cutting compound and polish afterwards, but should be ok

Avoneer

posted on 1/4/07 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
How did I know the title of this post was going to involve an Avon ???

Be very careful when sanding them down.

Of the 4 I have worked on, when the flashlines were removed, there were clear bits of gel and in some places, just the CSM showing through.

Either best left or sand & spray afterwards .

I'd leave the ones on the side panels, but do the rear arch ones and spray the arches a different colour.

I don't know why the Avon has such sh*te GRP. I have three samples here from 3 different cars. One has only one layer of CSM on the back and hardly any gelcoat, one has a huge layer of gelcoat and only one layer of CSM and the other (mine) had a right thin layer of gelcoat and about 4 layers of CSM.

Sorry, rant over.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 2/4/07 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
if it 's just round the edge; hide it under some heeingbone edge trim.
Cornholio351239

posted on 2/4/07 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Decided to bite the bullet and started rubbing back the flashing on the back and rear of wings. I think it is the right decision as it looks like it will polish up ok. Fingers crossed!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.