Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Bits inside chassis tubes
Cozza

posted on 10/12/03 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Bits inside chassis tubes

As I have been going around checking and cleaning up my welds, I have heard some bits moving inside the chassis tubes. I think it must be small bits of welding wire.

Do others have this problem? Is it much of an issue?

I have a cunning plan to fix it, short of cutting the ends of the chassis off. How about if I drill a few access holes and inject Waxoyl rust preventative which should hopefully capture these small bits?

Any thoughts guy?

Findlay234

posted on 10/12/03 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
when you start drilling into the chassis to mount things youre naturally gonna get some swarf in there, and when you bugger up youll drill out the rivet and the back part of it will fall into the tube, not much you can do. Doubt it will do anything to the tube itself and the only problem will be the noise while moving but i think the sound of the engine and the wind rushing past your ears will be louder.
Cozza

posted on 10/12/03 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Wind rush

I think you're right Findlay. I have big ears so there will be a lot of wind noise!!

Findlay234

posted on 10/12/03 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah i was worried about it a while ago when i first started drilling into the chassis and i know wishbones have a small amount of welding crap inside
James

posted on 10/12/03 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Cozza,

You won't hear it- don't worry!

James

Cozza

posted on 10/12/03 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Mounting brackets

Should I prime the chassis before fixing the mounting brackets? I'm thinking of fitting the front suspension brackets before painting, priming the whole chassis and then fitting the other brackets as I go. This is because I fear there may be some time between now and getting all of the brackets fixed!

Cheers

Simon

posted on 10/12/03 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cozza,

I'd recommend getting some sort of protective coat on it as soon as poss.

I didn't on mine even when I had to leave it outside (under cover). The steel will rust very quickly, and it's a very long job to clean it all up again!

ATB

Simon

JonB

posted on 10/12/03 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I keep my chassis (and my spare steel) wetted down with a spray of WD-40. It's been over a month sitting in my garage (albeit in a fairly dry climate) and there's NO visible surface rust on anything yet.
David Jenkins

posted on 10/12/03 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonB
I keep my chassis (and my spare steel) wetted down with a spray of WD-40. It's been over a month sitting in my garage (albeit in a fairly dry climate) and there's NO visible surface rust on anything yet.

...but wait until you try painting it!

You have to remove EVERY trace of WD40 before painting, otherwise the paint will just wrinkle off a bit later.

You'd be better off painting with a decent, tough primer and just accept that you will have to sand it down if an unexpected bit of welding is required, then repaint.

David

Hornet

posted on 10/12/03 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
And hes in a warmer fekin climate than us
Cozza

posted on 10/12/03 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Where can I buy "The Tool" for cleaning up welds I have seen mentioned on numerous threads?

Cozza

blueshift

posted on 10/12/03 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
from screwfix, halfords or your local friendly tool shop.
James

posted on 11/12/03 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Get a saucer shaped and a cup shaped one.

If you can get 'em from a show or tool fair then so much the better- they're about £5 there. Also, get the 'twisted knot' type. They're more effective and break up less.

HTH,

James

JonB

posted on 13/12/03 at 03:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by JonB

...but wait until you try painting it!

You have to remove EVERY trace of WD40 before painting, otherwise the paint will just wrinkle off a bit later.

You'd be better off painting with a decent, tough primer and just accept that you will have to sand it down if an unexpected bit of welding is required, then repaint.

David

I've found that a quick spray with some Brake Parts Cleaner and a wipe down with a cloth rag will easily remove the WD-40. Might be slightly tougher in tight spots but the brake parts cleaner will nearly remove the WD40 itself, and it dries without leaving any residue.

FWIW my steel came coated in machining oil to prevent rust so I would have been in the same boat anyway. I wipe the steel down during construction then re-spray it with WD-40.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.