Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap (crap) tow car with optional trailer
matt_gsxr

posted on 30/7/09 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Cheap (crap) tow car with optional trailer

Hi there,

I am finally getting rid of my old A4 Tdi. Its been great, but is now past its best. It has that "warp-drive collapse" problem (basically some sensors tell the ECU to drop the turbo power, which happens in this car in the hot weather), but I can't be bothered to buy new parts for this as I have a new family car to replace this (new shape A6).
e-bay listing

The good bit. It has a tow-bar and 9 months MOT. Also I have a trailer that I can sell too. I paid £320 for it from someone on this site and have since sorted some welding on it. It has ramps which look rubbish (bowed) but work fine. It doesn't have brakes (despite the drums and optimistic suggestions from the seller!), and is quite heavy so its only legal for lightweight stuff (I don't know the exact weights, but it is 4 wheeled and tows well). I used it for my taking my car to get its exhaust made, taking it to places for pre-SVA testing, for 2xSVA's and DVLA inspection. It was very useful.

here is the original trailer listing

Anyway, to summarise this stuff works, is cheap, but has seen a few summers.

Trailer is £300, Car will be allowed to run on e-bay (presently £237). If you buy both you can get a free trailer board with the right number plate!

Matt

Chaz

posted on 30/7/09 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Good idea, would have saved me a lot of pennies!

Sorry i have no space left! Cant buy, but i would like to mention a quick bravo to a car that has done 220,000 miles!

Danozeman

posted on 30/7/09 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Probably only wants an air flow meter £50 quid from gsf.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/7/09 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Danozeman you are correct.

It might need a MAF, or maybe a temp sensor. Or maybe one of the vacuum pipes has gone (I have had a bit of a check on these).

I don't want to start spending money on parts which might not fix it.

If I was going to start getting my hands dirty on this one, then I would break it as the alloy rear brakes would be much lighter than the Sierra ones that I presently have.

I was going to hold onto it for 240k (only because that is the distance to the moon) but we've got a camping trip planned and it wasn't really big enough last year, so I had to replace it. Sad day.

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.