Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1/2 price ratchet spanners at Halfords
UncleFista

posted on 8/5/04 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
1/2 price ratchet spanners at Halfords

Yeah I kow it's Halfords, but their "Professional" tools are quality.

I bought a set of ratchet spanners from my local Halfords last week, great quality and lifetime warranty for half the usual price £35 instead of £70. It's a national offer.

Not "Locost" but nice tools

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Jon Ison

posted on 8/5/04 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto..............

used one of these sets at work for over 2 years no probs, just got me another set for garage..........

madforfishing

posted on 9/5/04 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Their 'Professional' range is actually pretty good. Although I smashed a 19mm socket a few months ago, they exchanged it one for one with no hassle. (even though I had actually given it too much 'humpty' with a huge extension bar on a prehistorically siezed nut).
If you do buy from Halfords make sure you are buying 'professional' and not their other make, which aren't lifetime guaranteed.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Markp

posted on 9/5/04 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I agree

All the tools I have bought (socket sets, spanners, screw drivers set etc) have all been Halfords prof.

Never had a problem with them. Even the screw driver bits you get in the small socket set are better than most.

Recommended

mark

greggors84

posted on 10/5/04 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Lifetime = 2 years

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

spunky

posted on 11/5/04 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Halfords national offer....

Hmmphh....

1/2 price rachet pro series ratchet spanners....

Not in Newark.....Wankers

John

robinbastd

posted on 11/5/04 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Nor Truro,and I can't come up with an anagram.

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

Mark Allanson

posted on 11/5/04 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Smartass!!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

UncleFista

posted on 12/5/04 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
Lifetime = 2 years

Not at Halfords mate, take your broken tool back at any time and they'll replace it. No questions asked, no receipt needed

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

James

posted on 12/5/04 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Rubber pipe perished on the foot pump about 6 years after purchase- they changed that no questions (or receipt) asked!

James

greggors84

posted on 12/5/04 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
When i bought a socket from their, i asked the bloke behind the counter what i did if it broke, he said bring it back within two years with the reciept and they would replace it. He reckoned that 2 years was the lifetime of the tool. I expect my tools to last more than 2 years!
He probably didnt know what he was talking about as per the usual halfords muppets.
I hope the luton or dunstable halfords will replace them anytime then. I might have lost a couple of the reciepts too.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Mix

posted on 12/5/04 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
It's all relavent. I am required to supply the tools with which I earn my living, (and support my build). These tools are in use constantly and as such I tend to balance regularity of use with quality. A two year warranty is not bad for tools that are reasonably cheap and not regularly used. If you are only using them on a casual basis they should last 'a lifetime'

All of my day to day tools are Snap On, £250 my ar*e

Mick

blueshift

posted on 12/5/04 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I just broke a socket adapter trying to get my wheel nuts off with a breaker bar. Took it back to halfords, the fairly senior floor guy said they couldn't replace it without proof of purchase, and was asking me how old it was. I said I didn't have proof of purchase, it was about 6 months old, but had obviously come from them and was supposed to have a lifetime warranty. He went to speak to the manager and came back with the message that "this time, for the sake of a couple of quid, they'd replace it".

I wasn't very impressed. Don't like to think what would have happened if something more expensive had broken.

Admittedly though I was probably exceeding the spec on a 1/2" -> 3/8" adapter by heaving on it with a 24" breaker bar

Had to get them air wrenched off in the end..

JH

posted on 14/5/04 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
what sizes are included in the set? it doesn't seem to say on the website
Benzine

posted on 17/5/04 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Rubber pipe perished on the foot pump

So close to an Alan Partridge quote there

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 17/5/04 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
JH: I think it's a 1/2" to 3/8" and a 3/8" to.. umm.. the smaller common size. 1/4"? both reducers. I forget though, sorry
JH

posted on 18/5/04 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
sorry i didn't make myself clear!

I mean what size ratchet spanners are in the set mentioned?

cheers

bob

posted on 19/5/04 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I picked up a set of the flexi-head ratchet spanners yesterday,8 spanners sizes from 9mm to 19mm plus attachment/adapter for 3/8 sockets and driver which could be handy.

nutter

posted on 26/5/04 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
the tools i got was a all in 1 sorta set from halfords, plenty of sockets and other stuff that i will need when i evenuntaly start my build and on other cars, and got another socket set as well thats a good one all 6 point ones, keep that out of my tool box cos that weighs a poo load a decent sized metal cantailver one with a good few sockets spanners hammer and god knows what else. ive seen the ratchet spanners a mates got em they look pretty good i may get a set when i start braking stuff. snap on stuff is really stupid expensive but halfords stuff looks great and a lifetime garantee they cant be bad
MikeR

posted on 27/5/04 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
I picked up a set of the flexi-head ratchet spanners yesterday,8 spanners sizes from 9mm to 19mm plus attachment/adapter for 3/8 sockets and driver which could be handy.

Flexi head rachets are great till you're in a scrap yard, reaching under a car trying to undo a bolt .... then the damned head keeps flexing ... AAArrrgghhh (voice of experience)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.