Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Home Brew - Octane Booster
Terrapin_racing

posted on 13/5/04 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Home Brew - Octane Booster

You know you want to
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingr

posted on 20/5/04 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
So basically, buy celulose thinners, pour into petrol tank, stand well away from exhaust!

Not sure I'll be doing that to my R1 engine somehow, but it would be an interesting (if perhaps a little dangerous) experiment with a ropey old sierra.

Bear in my that it's totally illegal to use on the road - funnily enough celulose thinners and similar aren't taxed as road fuel!

Kingr

theconrodkid

posted on 20/5/04 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
i used to use nitro from the model shop in my stock car days,does have a habit of braking con rods tho

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mk-Ninja

posted on 20/5/04 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Would any of these addatives help people get through the emmisions tests?

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

NS Dev

posted on 20/5/04 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingr
So basically, buy celulose thinners, pour into petrol tank, stand well away from exhaust!

Not sure I'll be doing that to my R1 engine somehow, but it would be an interesting (if perhaps a little dangerous) experiment with a ropey old sierra.

Bear in my that it's totally illegal to use on the road - funnily enough celulose thinners and similar aren't taxed as road fuel!

Kingr

yep, sounds right to me, thinners contain all the ingredients bar the lubricant. I have got Toluene from work before for this job but forgot that it is the main ingredient of the stuff in the garage!!

I don't know abaout the legalities (and don't really care!!) but would say that I think Methanol/water injection is legal and is doing much the same thing, as is proprietary octane booster!

Using Nitro is a bit different!!!!!!!!!!

Octane boost allows more ignition advance, which will give more power, but more octane with no other changes will not make any more power. The octane level is just the "detonation resistance" of the fuel.

On the other hand, adding Nitro (Notromethane) will make a BIG difference to power!! Nitro is basically rocket fuel, as used by top-fuel dragsters. it liberates huge heat when it burns (well, explodes!!) and gives a lovely (i.e. rather sharp!!) exhaust note (but sadly not to the SVA man!!)

flak monkey

posted on 20/5/04 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Nitro/methanol fuel as used in radio controlled models is a drop of good stuff...i use 20% nitro in my models.

If you put some in your knackered lawn mower it makes cutting the grass and interesting (and rather dangerous) chore!

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

NS Dev

posted on 20/5/04 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Laughed out loud when I read that one David!!!!

Will try a bit of nitro in the mower, but I'll keep my feet well away from the blade's potential flight path!!

nicklondon

posted on 21/5/04 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
are you a lawn mower racer flat monkey?
flak monkey

posted on 21/5/04 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
No i dont race lawnmowers! ...was just something silly i tried once....not recommended if you value your lawnmower (or your personal safety! )...its better to put nitro/petrol mix in if you just wanna try it (stand less chance of blowing the thing up!)

Our lawnmower (its only a push type) is totally knackered...and hard to start etc...but put about 50ml of nitro fuel in with a full tank of petrol...it'll run ok then

Cheers,
David

[Edited on 21/5/04 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.