Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lathes ?
Noodle

posted on 30/6/04 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Utterly amazing. Poor old WO though got posted to the Sunbeam factory in Wolves during WWI.

Wouldn't wish that on anyone. :

http://www.bdcl.co.uk/HistoryWORN.htm

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

Screwy

posted on 30/6/04 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote

Veeeeeery nice , And yes i am a bit of a geek when it comes to old machine tools I have a 1937 roundbed drummond sat on a shelf in the workshop that i picked up at a house clearance, i even managed to find all the original correspondence the old guy had with drummonds before he bought it plus the receipt and a near complete three and a half inch gauge royal scot loco he built on the machine .

Mentioning Model Engineer magazine reminds me that they may have serialised the original locost build ,as in build your own car quite sure i saw an article in an issue from around 1910 I will trawl through my old copy,s and see if i can find it and post here if theres any interest .

[Edited on 30/6/04 by Screwy]

fatfranky

posted on 5/8/04 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Do any of you lathe guys have contacts in the machine tool world? Reason i ask is i've the chance of a Boxford AUD (cheap) but somebody has had the gearbox and some other bits away. Some internet sellers seem to want more for the gearbox than you can pick a whole lathe up for on E bay,any help appreciated.

Terrapin_racing

posted on 6/8/04 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried Tony? @

Tony@lathes.co.uk

http://www.lathes.co.uk/page8.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fatfranky

posted on 7/8/04 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks terrapin, I haven't contacted him , but did look at hi site and to tell the truth was put of as he was asking almost £400 for a power cross feed apron, last weekend a complete boxford went on E bay for £255.

I was kind of hoping to find someone who dabbles in lathes and breaks them for spares. Are there any lathe forums or message boards I can try?

Many thanks

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 7/8/04 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
nice lathe terrepin
mine is going the same way as yours,

it is reeally interesting to find out about the history, i tried to trace mine but didn't get very far i have found some info though, it is a 1 off special for truing large diam casting we think. it will turn up to about 20" in gap and is geared to 600 rpm max, just need to replace bronze cross slide nuts and the leadscrew half nuts and i'll be away

[Edited on 7/8/04 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

12a RX-7

posted on 23/8/04 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to dredge this one up but does anyone have any recommendations for a lathe ?

I've worked with machine tools during my apprenticeship for about 9 months but am now a design engineer working for a large company so I would't call myself a novice but neither am I an expert

I am looking for somthing thats "garage" sized, single phase and somewhat fool proof and easy to find parts for. I don't have a massive budget but neither am I looking for somthing for nothing.

a bit vague I know but any advice is very welcome

Hellfire

posted on 23/8/04 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
The small Boxford Lathe is great if you can get your hands on one. However, most if not all are for 3 phase power. You'll need it converting or have 3 phase wired in. If you convert - the power is seriously deminished. Should be enough for hobbyist's though.

There is a co. near me closing down looking to get shut of his cnc lathe for very little pennies. If you want me to ask... let me know!

12a RX-7

posted on 24/8/04 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the suggestions guys, i've been doing a lot of reading and think I'll keep an eye out locally for somthing about the size of a Myford 7 or super 7

I have asked for a quote from excel machine tools though as some of there german built hobby lathes look pretty good, no idea how much they charge (could be way too expensive) but I've asked anyway

I think I've established a budget of around £400 so that limits my options really

jolson

posted on 24/8/04 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Harrison L6 (same as the L5A), and you see them on eBay and in the papers for reasonable money. Parts are still available for them. They weigh just over half a ton, so you have to be serious about moving them around. The L5 is best avoided as it is the same size but is only a 9" swing (the L6 is 11" over the bed)

Cheers
John

David Jenkins

posted on 24/8/04 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
My Colchester Student cost me £200 from a local school - they had to get rid of it as they couldn't meet safety regs (no-volts power-off).

Then it cost me £100 to get a local machinery moving company to shift it the 15 miles or so to my garage - it weighs only slightly less than my Locost! I'm glad I did get the professionals in; they made it look so easy (and safer for all concerned). Mind you, if you know someone with a small lorry and a 1-ton hydraulic hoist then you could do it yourself!

The whole cost including the 3-phase converter was still less than that of any machine a quarter of the size.

rgds,

David

12a RX-7

posted on 24/8/04 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
my mates engine builder is a keen model engineer (building a 1/4 scale traction engine from scratch!) so we are going to ask him for some ideas.

A colchester student would be ideal as I used them at college and they are nice to work with and an ideal size. Might try round some local schools and colleges.

[Edited on 24/8/04 by 12a RX-7]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.