Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: welding apparatus
dmottaway

posted on 18/8/04 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
welding apparatus

anybody care to comment on this?

http://www.eastwood.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1269&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C482%2C483%2C484&KickerID=137&KICKER

I have excess room in my work area, a ready supply of any sort of metal, just about any conceivable tool......I just don't have adequate power and absolutely no way to get it short of a MAJOR investment. Gas welding wins by default.

dave

heinlein

posted on 18/8/04 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
welding apparatus

Check out the info at tinmantech.com.
I've never setup a link to a site so you will have to type it in yourself. I found it after typing henrob 2000 in googol.

When you're lying in the midst of the Afghan plains and the women come out to cut up the remains; just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains and go to your god like a soldier.

Peteff

posted on 18/8/04 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Ask on here.

http://www.tinmantech.com/html/faqs.html

He is a welding guru. I have seen mentions of Henrob equipment but all seem to say it's overweight and overpriced for basically a gas welding torch with attachments.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Alan_Thomas

posted on 19/8/04 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
I have had my own gas gear for 30 years since I funded my degree welding the bottoms back in anglias, 1100's and Minors.
Gas is very versatile for but for anything 3mm thick or over I use MIG.

I was amused by the advert when it quoted "From the most delicate aluminum to plate steel over 1/2" thick" Have you tried gas welding thin alloy sheet?, I have and I never mastered the art its an incredibly fine line between waiting for the temp to rise to start running the weld and having a molten puddle of alloy on the floor! - Alan

dmottaway

posted on 20/8/04 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
I was attracted by the notion of welding the chassis tubes with the small, intense flame. I had likened it to TIG, which I like very much, but without the need for electricity.

The only power I have available is a collection of portable power plants, the largest of which was rated at 3kw when it was new in 1945.

So, my options are to either use gas or purchase a larger power plant. I have read, recently, a warning on a smal TIG machine stating that it was not meant to be run off a generator (damage to the unit would reslult) which puts me off any modern portable electric welding machines. Unless, of course, they are able to be used with equally portable power units. Or they generate their own power ($$$$$$)!

So, I am back to gas.

Brazing is becoming more and more attractive an option.

Any comments on O/A welding (with the MECO Midget, or similar torch, from TinMan) or brazing the chassis?

dave

[Edited on 20/8/04 by dmottaway]

type 907

posted on 20/8/04 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

The original "Lotus 7" had a "Bronze welded" chassis. My mate has one, owned it since 1971. No probs.

Bronze welding and brazing are two different processes. Brazing (brass filler metal) is used for capillary joints, i.e. a tube inside a tube.

In your case I would use bronze, rather than weld with mild steel filler rod.

Paul G

Too much is just enough

dmottaway

posted on 1/9/04 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I certainly appreciate the responses! Now the questions boils down to whether or not a tiny o/a torch would be adequate for the project.

I studied the Tinman site and see that this is what he endorses for weding up aircraft framework. I think that should carry over to the Locost.

Except for suspension brackets being welded to the axel tube in the rear, or motor mounts, or other places where heavier steel is being used. Will it do the job in these areas?

dave

The Shootist

posted on 3/9/04 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
There are battery operated Mig welders..

I Ready Welder makes one.

Hook it to 1-3 car batteries and weld away.

Ready Welder

[Edited on 3/9/04 by The Shootist]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.