Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car trailer design
fatfranky

posted on 5/9/04 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Don't wish to urinate on anyone's toes here but i thought it was illegal to use car brakes for a trailer. I think earlier in the post you asked about reference material, about 5 years ago i bought a book from my local indespension dealer for a couple of quid that lists all sort of info.

Amongst other things it lists some basic legal info (weights, lighting, good practice etc.) a catalogue of all their products and also plans for different types of trailer. I'm sure that amongst all this it also states that it is illegal to use car braking mechanisms as they are not type approved.

I'm not advocating using Indespensions products, as one trailer builder put it "we stopped using them when the price went up and the quality went down" but this book is useful as reference material.

Hope this helps

mad4x4

posted on 7/9/04 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Trailer brakes usually have collapsable shoes so that you can reverse. Car's dont; mmmmm

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

ewanspence

posted on 7/9/04 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the inputs

trailer design will now change. I have checked with plod and the they have given me info to help my trailer build.

What I am going to do is build a couple of small unbraked box trailers, sell them and then use the cash towards my big trailer build.

I have just aquired a twin axle horsebox which should be an ideal base for a twin axle car trailer.

I have also now fitted the removeable towbar to my Merc so there is nothing stopping me storming away with alll of my builds (MegaGrip, 2 box trailers, big ramps and a twin axle car trailer....oh except the pending birth of my first born due on Friday but I do get 1 months holidays as parental leave though

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Terrapin_racing

posted on 10/9/04 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Trailers manufactured after October 1982, which require brakes, must be fitted with a braking system complying with EC Directives. Since 1989 only auto reversing brakes comply.

It is vitally important that the trailer coupling and the trailer brakes are compatible.

If brakes are required they must be fitted on all road wheels. Linings must be Asbestos free.

Trailers manufactured after October 1982 must be fitted with a coupling, which includes a hydraulic damper.

Spring overrun couplings can be fitted as a replacement item on Pre 1982 trailers.

All road going trailers/caravans must have a suspension system fitted between the wheels and the chassis frame except for Agricultural trailers used at speeds of less than 20 MPH and trailers used solely for hauling felled trees.

Tyres must be capable of carrying the gross load of trailer Do not mix Radial and Cross Ply on the trailer

Current legislation on tyre wear applicable to vehicles is also applicable to trailers.

Tyre pressures should be as recommended by the manufacturer. A comprehensive guide is given in the Technical Section.

All radial tyres must be `E` marked.

Retread tyres must comply with BSAU1446 and be so marked.

All trailers/caravans must be fitted with mudguards to catch grit and dirt and reduce spray thrown up by the wheels unless the body of the trailer gives adequate protection.

All trailers and caravans must be fitted with an approved style numberplate bearing the same number as the towing vehicle.

If brakes are fitted they must be in working order. Even on trailers where brakes are not compulsory.

[Edited on 10/9/04 by Terrapin_racing]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.