Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY argoshield
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/8/04 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
DIY argoshield

could you use a pub co2 bottle and a pure argon bottle both with twin dial pressure regulators to mix your own argo shield, this would cover al bases as you would have pure co2 pure argon and argoshield?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Peteff

posted on 30/8/04 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
I asked on a welding site if it would be possible using a 'T' piece in the pipe but I never got a reply. They obviously didn't take me seriously. I wanted more of an either or, rather than a mix which I cannot see why it shouldn't work. You would have to be precise with the pressures to get your 5% or whatever mix but with some fiddling it sounds possible. It's one of those things you have to try for yourself or you'll never know.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/8/04 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
exactly, i have most of the equipment any way so i'll suck it and see. all you would have to do is proportion outlet pressures in the ratio of % mix you want,

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

type 907

posted on 30/8/04 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Flow meters

Hi

Even using two stage regulators it would be difficult to set an exact mix.
On my TIG set I use flow meters (see pic) which have a rising ball inside a perspex tube. These give a spot on flow rate.
Set one to 2 L/min and the other to 8 L/min and you would have a 20% mix.
Not sure about back flow when you stop welding; perhaps non return valves in each line.

Paul G Rescued attachment reg 003s.jpg
Rescued attachment reg 003s.jpg

Too much is just enough

undecided

posted on 30/8/04 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Why mess about when air products will rent you a small bottle for home use "cougar 5" they are cheaper than BOC too.
Gas bottles are accidents waiting to happen...ever seen one go off?.....treat them like compressed air.......handy but still wants to kill the prick who messes with it

mad4x4

posted on 30/8/04 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Why bother with aroshield unless you are doing a lot of welding

CO" welding is fine for a home user (Steel) if you going to weld alloy or AL that a whole different kettle of fish and more specilist. you be better with the right gas eg bought argoshield.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Viper

posted on 30/8/04 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
Why bother with aroshield unless you are doing a lot of welding

CO" welding is fine for a home user (Steel) if you going to weld alloy or AL that a whole different kettle of fish and more specilist. you be better with the right gas eg bought argoshield.

If you are welding alli or stainless you wouldn't use an argon co2 mix.

DIY argoshield?? most argon, co2 mixes have other gasses in there as well such as Nitrous oxide, if you were to get yourself a bottle of argoshield,couger,weldap whatever you wouldn't go back to co2.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/8/04 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
is argo shield that much better?
if it is i'll go straight for that

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Peteff

posted on 30/8/04 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I use the energas product and have used co2 neat. The mix is infinitely better than co2 on locost stuff up to 5mm, less spatter and neater welds.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

David Jenkins

posted on 30/8/04 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
is argo shield that much better?
if it is i'll go straight for that

It's just one of those things that make welding a bit easier... alongside with auto-darkening visors. A good welder can make excellent welds with CO2, but for us mere mortals the argon mix just makes life less complicated. The arc is a little less 'angry', there's almost no spatter if the settings are correct, and the end result should be neat and tidy.

In other words - you can manage without it, but you'll find it so much nicer to use.

rgds,

David

GasGasGas

posted on 1/9/04 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have just converted from brewers bottle co2 and got a BOC Argoshield light bottle. I was stupified at the instant improvement in weld quality at the same settings as my old bottle. Migging with CO2 is an aquired skill, and while it gives a better penetration to your welds its a bugger to get right and looking proper.
Bite the bullet and get a proper mixed bottle of gas and you wont look back !

While your at get yourself a pair of TIG gauntlets they're far more comfortable to use than the big thickies, the only thing is you have to wait a bit longer before handling the workpiece after you,ve welded it -- not so much insulation !!!!

[Edited on 1/9/04 by GasGasGas]

wilkingj

posted on 1/9/04 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
You get the better penetration as Argoshield runs the pool hotter, CO2 is a Cold gas, and cools the weld pool.
I always used Argoshield lite its 5% Co2.

I have gone from Argoshield to a Wilco CO2 bottle, as BOC are expensive. No other reasoon, and yes I found it not quite so easy, I am right on the lowest speed setting with the highest current setting to get a decent weld. Thats with 0.8mm wire.

I think I may go back to 0.6 wire as it gave me a bit more control ie I wasnt on the end of the settings range.

However I was welding 3mm chassis plates, and 5mm to 4mm brackets for my 40ft Aerial Mast. I dont want that falling down!..

Best Regards

Geoff

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 1/9/04 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Argon/co2 mix does not give better penetration, it gives a different shape penetration, co2 gives a deeper but narrow penetration whereas mix gives a wider shallower penetration.

NS Dev

posted on 5/9/04 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
No idea on exact penetration. but CO2 is a better heat conductor and has a higher specific heat capacity than Argon, so CO2 welds cooler and less prone to burn-through on very thin metals.

If the thinnest I ever had to weld was 1.6mm then I would be using Argoshield (I do for big projects) but much of my work is welding on monocoque bodyshells at and below 1mm thickness (welding in roll cage feet etc.) and here the CO2 gives welcome cooling to the weld area.

Argoshield is much smoother to use and gives much less splatter though.

Horses for courses but if you rarely have to weld 1mm sheet or less then go for argoshield or equiv.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.