Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: welding tutorial
binraker

posted on 6/9/04 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
welding tutorial

i was wondering if anyone knew of a welding tutorial online for arc welding. i dont have a nick MIG box so i have to make do with my little 100A arc electrode welder. i think i have got the hang of it but then again i could be doing it all worng. our uni doesn't think we elctrical and mechanical engineering students need to know how to use machine tools or tools of any sort for that matter. but mechanical engineers and chemical engineers do. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

what is it about me that makes me look like i know what im doing????

Peteff

posted on 6/9/04 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a little bit....

http://www.twi.co.uk/j32k/protected/band_3/jk2.html

It's mainly down to practise though. Arcing up without sticking is the first bit to master, then keeping the arc going. Start on some thicker material where you can use more power. When you get going you will feel the rod as if it is sinking into the piece you are welding. Don't let the distance between the rod and the workpiece increase or the arc will start to flutter.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hugh Paterson

posted on 6/9/04 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Read yer u2u
Shug

binraker

posted on 6/9/04 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
i have can strike and weld nice straight lines accros a piece if 2" angle i pulled from a skip agees. all the other bits of scrap steel i have tend to be galvinised so they don't weld as well (or is that my incompantance) and i dont have any 16gage lying around. i think im going to go an raid a few skips for old desks with box sec legs. (1.2mm wall instead of 1.6mm so if i can master that 1.6 should be easy) im using 16gage rods which claim to be for 16gage steel. althought the 2.6mm rods i have work on bigger stuff better. the thin ones just sputter and make a mess and dont penitrate at all.

what is it about me that makes me look like i know what im doing????

Chris Green

posted on 6/9/04 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you clean off the galv coating from the steel then it should weld ok. Its all about the preparation.

Be careful when welding galvanised material though, as when burned the galv gives off some harmful gases. Cyanide iirc, but I might be wrong.

Best Regards,

Chris.

I love speed :-P

posted on 6/9/04 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Green
If you clean off the galv coating from the steel then it should weld ok. Its all about the preparation.

Be careful when welding galvanised material though, as when burned the galv gives off some harmful gases. Cyanide iirc, but I might be wrong.

Best Regards,

Chris.

I dont no what is given off, but i no it isnt good for you

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 6/9/04 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Its Zinc maikesusikalate, it gives you zinc fever which has similar symptoms to heavy flu, it has an almost instant antedote, drink 2 pints of chilled milk (no joke, its the only thing to stop it)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.