Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tool to make lips on alli sheets?
Jumpy Guy

posted on 7/9/04 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Tool to make lips on alli sheets?

think in the book Ron calls it a Joddler, or summat like that...
cant seem to find one. anyone know where i can get one, or what its really called??

David Jenkins

posted on 7/9/04 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
It's a Joggler, used to put a little 'dip' or flange at the edge of sheet metal, so that another piece can be welded in.

Try this place to see what I mean (search for 'Joggler'. Once you've looked there, do a Google and find somewhere cheaper! Frosts often have what you want, and they deliver quickly, but they ain't cheap.

rgds,

David

simonH

posted on 7/9/04 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
here is some on machine mart

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=010122046
DaveFJ

posted on 7/9/04 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I knocked up my own 'Joggling machine' verry easily out of some 1" square erw and a couple of thin strips of steel.

Basically you weld the 10mm wide strip to each bar but off centre. so that when you mate the bars back together the kind of interlock - Just remeber to ensure they leave a couple of mm gap in the middle.

I then welded 4 uprights on my bench and dropped bars in. It works kind of like a guilotine, you slide in the sheet , line it up and then whack the top bar with a mallet, works wonders

I will try to get a few piccys tonight.

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

MikeP

posted on 7/9/04 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Another way to do this is to take some cheap vise-grip style pliers and weld on some pieces to make the profile you need. In this case I picture 4 short pieces of 1" x 1/8" strap. A longer flat on the bottom, a shorter piece welded to the front of it. On the top jaw, 2 smaller pieces, the front offset higher than the rear, to match the bottom profile. Probably very similar to the profile we'll see in protofj's (Pete's?) pictures.

The size of the bits you add is a balance between whether the metal to be flanged is flat and straight or curved.

After welding all of the corners need to be rounded off (maybe even cut back) and the bits need to be polished as much as possible to avoid marking the metal.

To use, it takes a couple of passes and you need to be careful to keep the flange straight and even (a stop on the pliers helps). But it's cheap and does work for curved and profiled sheet metal.

By coincidence I just made a similar tool on the weekend for putting a flange around the suspension cutouts in my front panels. Worked out nicely (I think), improves the looks but more importantly strengthens the panel.

You probably know already, but just in case - you need to plan out your bends carefully. If you flange before bending, you may find it tough to bend or the flange may pinch or worse crack. If you flange after, you may have trouble flanging curved panels .

I've got a joggler like the one in the picture, it won't make enough of a flange for much other than a flange to weld two sheets together, and really only on a straight panel - but it is very handy for that.

HTH!

[Edited on 7/9/04 by MikeP]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DaveFJ

posted on 7/9/04 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
My damn camera is bust..

so I have knocked up a quick (and very rough) piccy for you

hope it makes sense...

Description
Description

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

type 907

posted on 7/9/04 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a hammer fetish Dave ?

Paul G

Too much is just enough

andyps

posted on 7/9/04 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Sykes Pickavant one which I have had for years, not sure if they still do them but would think they do. Always worked very well, but only used it with steel so far.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 8/9/04 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
B&Q Warehouse sell em find them near the welders under the cosmos brand 12 quid. Dundee had two the other day.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.