Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Socket Set Recommendations. Please
bigal

posted on 28/9/04 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Socket Set Recommendations. Please

Looking to replace my old cheap socket set, can anyone recommend any particular make?
I was also looking at the Sealey packages, the Toolchests and Tools.
Has anyone purchased one of these, are they any good?

Many thanks

Alan.

nick205

posted on 28/9/04 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
A personal favourite of mine are Teng tools. My local tool, nut and bolt place does them a reasonable prices and the quality is good.

I've also got quite a few Draper Expert sockets whicre very good.

If you have the money nothing looks as flash as a full Snap On 3 piece tool chest on wheels though.

Nick

swood

posted on 28/9/04 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Socket Set

I've had an Elora (german) set for over 30 years, Ratchet gave up the ghost last year, every think else still ok.
As long as its made from Chrome Vanadium & marked marked on each piece as such you should'nt go far wrong.
Needs to be 1/2" drive.
Sealey should be ok, been using a Roebuck (Buck & Hickman) set at work also OK.
Cheap Draper dodgy, expert range as the man said is ok.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 28/9/04 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
axminster tools

why don't you try these guys?
if nothing else you should get their catalogue its full of weird and wonderful stuff. i have used them for years and they are top notch

i have 2 of their socket sets(55 piece and 18 piece) and the quality great and they come in a nice metal box too
axminster

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

jimgiblett

posted on 28/9/04 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
For VFM the Halfrauds professional range is excellent. I particularly like the ratchet spanners. When I was in Halfrauds at the weekend I noticed that there is a sale on the flexi ratchet spanners too.

All the Pro range are lifetime warranty. I managed to break a 1/4 extension whilst giving it serious abuse and they exchanged it with no fuss at all. Didnt even want to see the receipt.

chris.russell

posted on 28/9/04 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I have to agree with Halfrauds pro stuff. I thought they were quite expensive but have taken all the punishment i can muster with no sights of any problems so they are worth every penny

[Edited on 28/9/04 by chris.russell]

Mines a pint

locoboy

posted on 28/9/04 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Halfrauds Pro here too - had the set for a few years now and all is still well with them.

My dad has a set of Elora which are ancient but still in good shape after a lifetime of abuse too.

ATB
Locoboy

I love speed :-P

posted on 28/9/04 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
also, try silverline, stuff, i got a 1/2 set, came in a steel box, and is as good as snap on,

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andkilde

posted on 28/9/04 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have Sears over in England?

Their Craftsman line is the best value going on this side of the Atlantic. Anything breaks it's replaced on the spot with a "forever" warranty. Quality is quite good as well, holds up to professional use as well or better than Snap-On.

Snap-On is great for the huge range of 'specialty' tools but for normal stuff they're over-priced and they go to great lengths to not honour their warranty.

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mix

posted on 28/9/04 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Snap On is the 'dog's', I've been using it for longer than I care to remember in a professional capacity. It is however vastly overpriced for occasional use. For years now I have been collecting odd items from boot sales for home use. Britool, Stahlwillie, and Bedford are good names to look out for and the most popular sizes are the most common

Mick

Peteff

posted on 28/9/04 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a cheap Kamasa set when I had my others stolen along with my car. They were just to get me going again but they have surprised me with their quality. The ratchet was crap but the actual sockets have stood up to any abuse I've thrown at them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jon Ison

posted on 28/9/04 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
wots up wi a "bacho shifter "? fits anything from M3 to M30 without rounding corners off to much

I find Halfrauds to be fine, use them everyday at work with no breakages, if spanners can feel and look "nice" then i think they do that well too.

Peteff

posted on 28/9/04 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Spoken like a fitter.....

Bahco, the original and best. Keeping the wheels of industry turning and stud extractor manufacturers in business.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.