Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding advice please
dern

posted on 12/10/04 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingjPS... It looks 10 times better than my welding. What Gas are you using?.
Thank you. I picked up a couple of argon mix cylinders from halford for 7 quid each and haven't got through the first one yet. I did get a free co2 with the machine so will try that sometime soon for a comparison.

All the best,

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 13/10/04 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Pete,

I got it in the ear just the other day actually- weld spatter that is!

Had a lump land on my lower lip too couple of weeks ago.

All caused by tacking stuff together without a mask!

Most painful bit though was a lump that went into my shoe- you certainly do a new and funky dance whilst trying to get that out I tell you!

Atb,

James

[Edited on 13/10/04 by James]

blueshift

posted on 13/10/04 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I had a blob go down the back of my shoe while arc welding. not entirely sure how. neat little hole in my sock now. (I only have one sock)

What's the most interesting place you've had it?

dern

posted on 16/10/04 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
gas

I just finished off my first bottle of argon and tried the free CO2 bottle that came with the machine. The difference is astounding. Suddenly the thing spits intermittently while welding, it's all a bit frisky and my welds look like sh*t.

If you're just starting out learning to weld stick with argon mix, it makes your life so much easier imho.

Maybe when I'm accomplished enough I'll go back to trying CO2 but for now I can't see the point of making life even more difficult for myself.

All the best,

Mark

PS. on technique... if I make a pass and it looks kind of thin in places or I've blown a hole I've got into the habit of staying on the power and doubling back and filling in. It's difficult to explain but it feels like filling in with a pen... I'm almost stiring the weld pool if you like and drawing around a hole which closes the hole up or fills in a thin bit. Everything gets pretty hot when I do this and I do get a pretty substantial weld. Is this a good idea or should I let the join cool off and fill it in then? It strikes me if I do the former I'm not laying on join over join but simply keeping the original weld pool going. Does that make sense and does it sound right?

[Edited on 16/10/04 by dern]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 16/10/04 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
My worst one was spatter in the ear, it fizzed for ages. I don't know how it got in there but it was scary and painful.

I fully sympathise, I've suffered exactly the same torture. It fizz's and burn in your ear for what seems like forever, and of course there is no way of getting it out.

Something I have been caught out with was not through welding but angle grinding. The shower of sparks can travel big distances, in my case all the way to a jam jar of thinners with some brushes in...

[Edited on 16/10/04 by MikeRJ]

blueshift

posted on 16/10/04 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've been doing some angle grinding before now and looked up to see a bundle of wire wool smouldering away..
MikeRJ

posted on 16/10/04 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
if you havent got 9EW lens in you mask - get one

Mark, just popped into Machine Mart this morning and got a 9EW filter along with a head mounted mask. The difference compared to the 11EW is amazing, I can actually see what the wire is pointing to before I squeeze the trigger (several of my welds have started somewhat of-course before now!).

Is this filter quite safe for MIGing though? It's so much more transparent, and my eyes are one of the few bits of myself I tend to really worry about

Peteff

posted on 16/10/04 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you can see a bright blob after you've stopped, like when you look at a lightbulb, you need to go up a grade but a 9 should be o.k. up to 150 amps unless you have sensitive eyes.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeRJ

posted on 16/10/04 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Pete, seems to be ok at the moment. I don't have to get so close to the action to see whats happening anyway, so I suppose that compensates a great deal.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.