Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air tools
taz

posted on 12/10/04 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Air tools

To try and make my life easier I want to buy an air ratchet (is that what it's called?) but have no idea what to look for.... I'm going to borrow the compressor from work so it's just the tools I'm after.

Can anyone offer any advice on what to look for or any makes etc that are good?

Because I'm a right lazy git websites that sell the stuff would be good too

Cheers.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
subk2002

posted on 12/10/04 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Try Ebay
Jon Ison

posted on 12/10/04 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Air tools are great for the "larger nuts n bolts" wheels ect............

I would,nt bother for a locost build, a lot of the bolts are at times hard to get too, don't forget youv'e got a pipe trailing from the tools too, at this time of year there bloody cold as well.

Spend your money on quality hand tools instead, decent socket set and rachet spanners would be far more use.

All IMHO of course,

Jon Ison

posted on 12/10/04 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
now a air riveter, thats a different story.

Mix

posted on 13/10/04 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Essential air tools

Only my opinion:

Die grinder / cut off disc
Blow gun
Reversable drill
Chisel
Shears / Nibbler
Rivetter

I've been using air tools professionaly for longer than I care to remember. I've never felt the need for an air ratchet, (too cumbersom). On occaisions an air impact wrench would have been useful but I've managed without so far, (though it will probably be the next air tool I buy).

Mick

MikeRJ

posted on 13/10/04 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Air impact gun, air chisel and the simple blow gun are the only air tools that I have found totaly indespensable (although the decent rechargable ones are actually very good).

The rachets have their uses, but they tend to be too big and cumbersome for the jobs where you really need such a tool (if that makes sense).

dern

posted on 13/10/04 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
What specification of compressor would I need to drive a variety of air tools such as an impact drive through to a paint spray gun (i.e. how little can I get away with spending )

Thanks,

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 14/10/04 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
we spent about £200 on a clarke one a couple of years ago and copes well. it delivers 8cubic feet a minute, 10 bar max. it runs an air drill fine, but being cheap, its got a direct drive compressor. its BLOODY LOUD, (we've had complaints from across the road. OOps)

if you live in a built up area, try to find a belt driven one. theyre loads quiter but a bit more expensive. if thats not an issue, you can get a decent direct drive compressor with reasonable reciever for about £120. it might just struggle a bit with free air delivery for extended periods of drilling but will be fine for short bursts and most other tools.

i can't stress how useful a 3/8" air drill is for drilling transmission tunnel etc. etc. and if using an alloy floor, an air riveter is a must. my floor has near 150 5mm rivets.
a blow gun is always useful too

tom

Peteff

posted on 14/10/04 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
It costs more to run a compressor and air drill than an electric drill and if you're only building one car what's the hurry to rivet it? I've had my compressor for years and it doesn't get used that much now. The only tools I have beside spraygun are my blowgun,tyre inflater and air chisel and now I don't do many repair jobs the main use is blowing tyres up.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mix

posted on 15/10/04 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
If/when my compressor gives up the ghost I am sure that my wife and kids, (who find it essential for inflating their tyres), will 'pressurise ' me into replacing it. How many tools can you say that about?

Mick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.