Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dam this b****y wrench
billy

posted on 15/11/04 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
dam this b****y wrench

i have a socket wrench that keeps on changing the direction itself when you use it. thats it its going right now......how far do you think i can chuck the thing?

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

Ben_Copeland

posted on 15/11/04 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you were a bit enthusiastic with it. Putting to much strain on it

Done it to my halfords tools before, but i can take them back and replace it for free

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

JoelP

posted on 15/11/04 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
very annoying, mine does it too. unfortunately, its a symptom of all cheap tools...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Peteff

posted on 15/11/04 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Good ratchets cost you...

I have a 1/2" Britool one and a 3/8" Facom which were £28 and £16 respectively.The better the ratchet the finer the click I find. I have a cheap one for scrapyard duty but it is still a good solid wrench. I don't like the rubber handled ones as I get them full of grease and can't get them clean again.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

craig1410

posted on 16/11/04 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
I found the Halfords Professional 45-tooth ratchet is excellent. It has a very fine "click" and has a lifetime warranty. It's a bit cold on a frosty day as it has no insulation on the handle but I agree with Peteff, it just get's dirty anyway. I usually wear a couple of layers of latex gloves if my hands are cold.

Cheers,
Craig.

JoelP

posted on 16/11/04 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
II usually wear a couple of layers of latex gloves if my hands are cold.

Cheers,
Craig.

bloody perverts....

i cant stand the smell of latex gloves. t'other day i found my gloves in a puddle, had to wear them wet!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

indykid

posted on 19/11/04 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland

Done it to my halfords tools before, but i can take them back and replace it for free

not strictly true, ben.
next time you're in halfords, you'll see that the warranty doesnt actually cover ratchet mechanisms in the "lifetime warranty" (it should be on a little black freestanding card near the tools and on parts desk probably)
there are ratchet repair kits tho' and some tight tw*t managers will not replace the tools for you - stay away from st andrews key, bob houton is a right mean bugger.

if they won't replace them first time go back at about 1 o clock on a saturday or sunday when the manager will be tied up with something and ask the part timers. they dont get paid enough to care!

imo, the 45 tooth ratchet is the strongest, but still feels a bit coarse. the 72 tooth is sublime, smooth as smooth things.
ratchet spanners are cracking too (£40 for a set, flex head, currently on offer)

tom

Ben_Copeland

posted on 19/11/04 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
They replaced mine no bother, the thing just clicked when you tried to use it.

Didn't tell them i had a big bar on the end of it trying to undo the crankshaft pulley bolt

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

ned

posted on 19/11/04 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
that pulley bolt wasn't on a vauxhall by chance was it ben? i've broken 1 ratchet, 1 socket and have blow torched one before and still couldn't get it off with a 3/4" set...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 20/11/04 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, it was mate... Tightest bolt on a vauxhall is that little beauty.

I ended up stripping the bottom end right down as much as possible. Putting a big bar through a cylinder bore and out the otherside. Then had to buy a special socket to fit the bottom pulley bolt and my breaker bar! Then had a big bar on my breaker bar. Dad held onto the bar through the cylinder bore, and i pulled on the breaker bar.. lifted him off the ground but it went eventually. You can also cut them off with an angle grinder and the threaded bit will be loose. It's the head thats tight !

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.