Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sheet metal folder suggestions...
Simon

posted on 10/5/20 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sheet metal folder suggestions...

..or recommendations please

Going to be doing some cardboard aided design on beetle bodywork (internal panels) and would like to be able to fold my own steel (have a sheet of 1.2mm arriving tomorrow).

I'd like to get something up to a metre long (though suspect I may only need 2/3rds that) and have seen ebay items for around £130. Has anyone got/used of these things and are they ok. I could indeed build one but would rather spend my time sorting the bug

Cheers

rusty nuts

posted on 11/5/20 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
I have a SP folder which must be 30 years old that is similar, however if I had space I would look out for an old free standing folder
steve m

posted on 11/5/20 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
what would be the longest fold in one go be?

As I did all my bodywork in alui. a lot softer with two lengths of 25mm RHS bolted together to make a square edged 8
and slide the metal into the slot, and tighten the bolts at each end
Pop the whole lot into or clamped to a workmate and with a club hammer and piece of wood bent the lip over

worked fine, and that was with a fold of over a meter long

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

macc man

posted on 11/5/20 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I built a metal folding machine from heavy angle iron. This will take material up to 30" long. It tends to flex in the middle so I put a g clamp on it to stop the flex. It works great with fairly thin material but struggles with long heavy duty material.
Unless you intend to do a lot of bending I would look for a metalworking shop who will bend it for you. A good folder is expensive and bulky. The cheaper ones from machine mart etc are not that much use.

jps

posted on 11/5/20 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macc man
I built a metal folding machine from heavy angle iron. This will take material up to 30" long. It tends to flex in the middle so I put a g clamp on it to stop the flex. It works great with fairly thin material but struggles with long heavy duty material.
Unless you intend to do a lot of bending I would look for a metalworking shop who will bend it for you. A good folder is expensive and bulky. The cheaper ones from machine mart etc are not that much use.

I made one recently as well - to take a panel just over a metre. Mine also bends, which I know is sortable - but in all honesty I think I probably would have been better off just going off to somewhere I could get the bend done... I did look to buy, but it's a big piece of kit cluttering up the garage, which will get little use.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 11/5/20 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
randomly this came up tonight after reading this thread earlier,
https://www.facebook.com/SuppercoolStuff/videos/252950159158052

colin furze has also made one

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 12/5/20 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
... or you can make you own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggy1DHwAh_0
It is fun to watch too

posted on 12/5/20 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I never grudge money spent on tools, well second hand tools anyway.

I bought a s/h Sahinler 1.25 x 16g finger folder about 10 years ago for £450.
Over the years I have made various bottom bed sections and now have quite a collection. Also made the odd shorter top fingers
so that I can bend thicker bar. 50 x 6mm is well within reach. My U shaped chassis suspension brackets I bent in 4mm plate.

So what did it really cost ? I bet that come my retirement when I sell my treasure it will still be worth what I payed, if not more.

As for space, how many garages are brimmed full of freezers, lawnmowers that no longer work, and the kids bikes that they rode
when they were a foot shorter.
I know of one bloke in the village who has converted his dining room into a machine shop and does a very nice trade in making orreries.

Paul G

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 12/5/20 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Is the bloke still married?? I know I wouldn't be.

It's a fair point about the garage and it's a battle I have periodically with the wife. I've relented to two fridge/freezers and storing some smaller stuff.

posted on 12/5/20 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Is the bloke still married?? I know I wouldn't be.

It's a fair point about the garage and it's a battle I have periodically with the wife. I've relented to two fridge/freezers and storing some smaller stuff.

Yes, still married to his childhood sweetheart.

He has a 6 room (3 bed) cottage, and the kids have flown the nest. Plenty of room for a man cave.

Simon

posted on 12/5/20 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'm going to need to make lots of stuff (see Binky, but for my Beetle ) so a) don't want to make b) needs to be a sensible size and c) forgot what that was….

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.