Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: modifed aldi compressor
Stuart_B

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
modifed aldi compressor

hi all, i have modifed my aldi compressor, do you think teh 3 year warranty still applies?

sorry for the conector blocks, left all my tools and the gear i need in the van.

Description
Description

Description
Description

and where i can use it, in the gargre:

Description
Description

that keeps up nicely and with 150litre tank.

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice... warranty errr no too late lol

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

RichardK

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
You kept the receipt?

Nice job, where'd you get the tank from?

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stuart_B

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
i got the tank of eaby for £50 i came with a v twin compressor but realy had not puff, so to 9.5cfm compressor, which are realy good.

yes still got the recpite, i think i can get it back toghter.lol

stuart

adithorp

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I hope you checked the tank first for corrosion. They are highly dangrerous things and if it did fail, it'd destroy everything in the garage and anybody in there.

I'm also not convinced copper pipe is approved for presure systems.

Apart from that... nice!

adrian

ps. Aldi garrentee need the original packaging so keep the boxes.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

flak monkey

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Should be proper air pipe really for high pressure use, that said the bursting pressure of 1.5mm wall 15mm copper pipe is around 2500psi IIRC.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Stuart_B

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
it is 28mm copper pipe, been pressure tested at 150psi, and i am only using a 120psi, so it should be ok.

seeing who power craft put the compressor toghter, with thin wall alu pipe with the joints hand tight.

the copper is thicker, and my dad says they pump copper pipe up on air con system to 58bar, the pipe should take it.

stuart

gazza285

posted on 15/3/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

I'm also not convinced copper pipe is approved for presure systems.

Don't tell Corus, all of the oxygen and gas lines in the Scunthorpe BOS plant are copper.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Litemoth

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have to agree with adithorp, that tank looks a tad ropey. They rot more from the inside out because of the water precipitation ...It looks as if it's been a while since it had it's pressure test!! Maybe it'll leak before it goes bang though

The copper pipe looks wrong somehow but has to be better than rubber hose when you think about it....

Top locost job though

boggle

posted on 15/3/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
if it does explode and kill you can i have them mc indicators above your trap and regulator???

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 16/3/10 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Great Job, I noticed you've got both compressors hooked up to one pressure switch/controller. How did you do that? both compressors wired in parallel to it?

Reason I ask is I've got two Aldi compressors hooked up together but they still have their own pressure switches/controllers so they activate at slightly different pressures. Thus one compressor tends to do all the work unless I'm using a high demand air tool. I fancy hooking them both up to one controller as you have done so would appreciate any hints and tips you may have!

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

MikeR

posted on 16/3/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
rubber hose has the advantage i'd guess (i'm no expert) that it fails in a much safer way.

Its a bit like making beer can mortars - you use pringles tubes instead of drain pipe so when the tube eventually gives way and explodes you get paper dust at high velocity instead of sharp plastic fragments.

Love the approach tho.

Isn't it better to have two pumps independently? So one kicks in as it starts to drop and the other a second or two later. Should be more efficient that way & you'll have a lower sudden electricity draw.

Stuart_B

posted on 16/3/10 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
hi,

they are both hooked up in parrel, all i have done, is the conneted thetwo motor wires to each other, and run a bit of 2.5 flex to the contactor.

the pressure relif vaule i used the old oil coiler on with a new lenght off pipe to the switch, but could have used a tee to run both.

as for start up current it will only draw 15 amps on start up, so it will have a 2.5 raidial circuit with a 20amp breaker fusing it, so that is not a worry.

as for using both motors at the same time is, only beacuse i did not see the amps to worry me to much, and they both work toghter, and can not fight against each other.

stuart

Stuart_B

posted on 20/3/10 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
hi, just to let you know that the copper soilder joints, are good safe to work up to 16bar hydrolic. so 8 bar air is safe.

stuart

Chris_

posted on 28/3/10 at 01:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hey dude,
Cant remember the numbers but your copper should be good for 6-700 psi with a tested burst pressure of above 4k psi. It'll also fracture longitudinally rather than blow to pieces like push fit.

Personally i'd have brazed the joints, cause silver solder is really fecking expensive

Oh, you might want to stick something flexible in that copper line where it leaves the res. Or is the tank solid mounted?

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.