Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 10mm throat butt weld
indykid

posted on 4/4/10 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
10mm throat butt weld

i know there are a few pro welders on here so my question is if someone said i want a 10mm throat butt weld on a lump added onto a 32mm bar, would you laugh at them, or would you just get on with it?

detail behind the question's in the next post

cheers
tom

indykid

posted on 4/4/10 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
a part of my final year project, i've been working on the design of a drop weight impact rig for the testing of composite materials.

dissertation's due in next monday but i'm just working through my final designs of the bits that aren't to be machined yet. i've been doing a weld stress calc on the safety stop which is a 32mm dia en8 bar with a 27mm wide lump of en3a welded onto it.

when the sled falls from 2.5m, max drop height, assuming the 29kg sled's brought to rest in 6milliseconds on a pair of bullet shaped bump stops, the calc suggests i need a 10mm throat butt weld all round.

is that....possible? i imagine it needs more than one pass but we have 250amp mig and a monster stick kit in uni. i don't have to actually weld it but it'd be nice to come up with a design that's actually feasible.

it will leave an unwelded section on the back face but it's not going to be subjected to any real cyclic load. it will possibly be impacted once in a blue moon when my control system fecks up.
tom

daviep

posted on 4/4/10 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
I don't understand the question I think a drawing would probably make it a bit clearer.

Regards
Davie

smuty

posted on 4/4/10 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
i know there are a few pro welders on here so my question is if someone said i want a 10mm throat butt weld on a lump added onto a 32mm bar, would you laugh at them, or would you just get on with it?

detail behind the question's in the next post

cheers
tom
think its a 10mm fillet weld your after

indykid

posted on 4/4/10 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
this is what i mean.

the top of the square face would be impacted if the sled ever hit it.

i could increase the length of the bar to give a fillet weld top and bottom but there's no room for it on the sides

thiking about it, i'll probably spec it as that just to save messing with trying to bevel the round face.

any other thoughts though, keep them coming.
cheers
tom

MkII

posted on 4/4/10 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
from what I can see on your drawings if it was prepared and welded properly the 2 pieces would never come apart.....ever. .m.
blakep82

posted on 4/4/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
looks plenty strong to me.
if this was for a one off thing, but high use, then the cost of getting something cast in one solid piece could probably be justified?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

skinned knuckles

posted on 4/4/10 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
looks plenty strong to me.
if this was for a one off thing, but high use, then the cost of getting something cast in one solid piece could probably be justified?

X2

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

indykid

posted on 4/4/10 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
cast and impact sounds bad to me.

bringing a 29kg plate travelling at 7m/s to rest in 6 milliseconds requires an average force of 40600N......4.1 tonnes in static terms

i think it looks strong enough too. the maths agrees but it's the technicalities of producing the weld i need to know about.

it's a 2 off btw so casting/forging are not an option
ta
tom

jacko

posted on 4/4/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yep looks good to me thats how i would do it
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 4/4/10 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Yep looks good to me thats how i would do it
Jacko

just the man!

cheers graham
tom

blakep82

posted on 4/4/10 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
ah yeah, not casting then, but who about machining on a CNC mill or something?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

indykid

posted on 4/4/10 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

that's more feasible.

could turn it down from bigger bar then mill the sides off, but the EN8 i have at uni is bright rolled.

not got any cylindrical grinding facilities at uni and i need a smooth finish for the plain bearings it rotates in. if it were turned, i could spec needle roller bearings but that introduces more complexities than it solves
tom

Mark Allanson

posted on 4/4/10 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just weld with low hydrogen rods, the weld will be stronger than the parent material. E6011's from memory, but make sure they are ultra dry when you use them (use a heated quiver)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

stevebubs

posted on 4/4/10 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Whatabout a thick dowel through the pair of parts?
gazza285

posted on 4/4/10 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Just weld with low hydrogen rods, the weld will be stronger than the parent material. E6011's from memory, but make sure they are ultra dry when you use them (use a heated quiver)

E7018. You need a DC set for low-Hys as well. If you are going to that much trouble, then why not go for full pen? Wouldn't take much more effort, as long as the guy welding it is coded for full pen.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 4/4/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

My understanding is a machined forging would be better than either cast or CNC milled from billet. (due to the crystalline alignment)

But a welded part would seem to be up to the job if done by a professional welder.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.