Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me an insurer...
iti_uk
Builder

Posts 163
Registered 13/10/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The KLMX-5 ('97 MX5 w/Mazda KL 2.5L V6)

posted on 25/8/10 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend me an insurer...

My car:
Mk.1 MX-5 with a 2.5L V6 (from a Ford Probe), otherwise standard, stored in a garage.

Me:
8 years' no-claims, clean license, 26yrs old, living in a low-risk area, and an engineering consultant by trade.

I tried 2gether, the sponsors of this thread, and they "don't insure that type of car". Well, just before they told me that, they told me it would be "upwards of 700 pounds", but then said it wasn't possible.

?!?!??!??!?!

Their website seemed to suggest they insure everything from full-on kitcars to exotics. I will be taking my business elsewhere, for sure, but where? Anyone in the same boat as me??

Chris

[Edited on 25/8/2010 by iti_uk]

MkIndy7

posted on 25/8/10 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a similar age and Circumstances etc and Insured with Footman James (was Adrian Flux before)..

They were ok with an engine change etc provided it was within a certain percentage of the original engine power (like 30%) until I explained it was a drivetrain transplant so everything was uprated to suit from the Donor Car

I think thats more to do with getting it on a Classics policy which I should imagine you can just about do on a Mk1 MX-5

speed8

posted on 26/8/10 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
Been with a-plan for quite a few years now. Always manage to find the cheapest deal for me.
john_p_b

posted on 26/8/10 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
adrian flux? they seem to cover anything and everything, just got a decent quote off them for my cosworth which had my current insurer not matched i'd have gone with them as i have both my other cars covered with them.

classic cover seems to have taken a massive turn, had my cosworth covered on classic policy for years now, lovely and cheap and they cover all mods for next to nothing, renewal time just came around and no classic policy any longer covers over a 10% performance increase. was getting painful by the 3rd phonecall when they ask the current power "400 bhp" then ask what the car is standard "204 bhp" end of conversation

gavin174

posted on 26/8/10 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
Try

http://www.allstylescars.co.uk/#

Its a family business and Keith is a member of the Essex Kitcar Club

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

joemotion

posted on 26/8/10 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Glynwoods insure my kitcar - find them very friendly and helpful and cheap!
wicket

posted on 26/8/10 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Another for FJ. Recommended. Tin top and kit are insured with them. Not always the cheapest but reliable good service. Had a couple of claims on the tin top and no problems at all.
iti_uk
Builder

Posts 163
Registered 13/10/08

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 26/8/10 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, I'll be trying all of those mentioned. Maybe there is hope yet...

For increase in engine capacity - mine has gone from 1.6L to 2.5L (56% increase) and from ~100rwhp to ~180rwhp (80% increase). Hmm. I'll post back with results...

Chris

[Edited on 26/8/2010 by iti_uk]

coyoteboy

posted on 26/8/10 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
I'm in the same boat as you, tried several places such as sky insurance who used to do me a good deal on a modified 20 year old vehicle, currently quoting me nearly £700 for a second car, limited milage, quiet area and nearly 30 year old driver. Not impressed.
pewe

posted on 26/8/10 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Frank Pickles talk a lot of sense.
Just changed to them from AN Other broker (see Chris' post at the top) who don't know their A*ses from their elbows.
HTH. Cheers, Pewe

Richard Quinn

posted on 26/8/10 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, not much help with your situation but your comment made me smile...
quote:
Originally posted by iti_uk
I will be taking my business elsewhere

I don't think you have much choice other than to take your business elsewhere given that they won't insure you.

iti_uk
Builder

Posts 163
Registered 13/10/08

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 26/8/10 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
Sorry, not much help with your situation but your comment made me smile...
quote:
Originally posted by iti_uk
I will be taking my business elsewhere

I don't think you have much choice other than to take your business elsewhere given that they won't insure you.

Lol, good point What I meant was I wasn't going to pursue them further, where normally I would argue my case (they don't offer what they advertise).

Anyway, final update to this episode - I called Adrian Flux and tore their arm off for a ~£450 Fully comp., protected no-claims policy. Good stuff! And they said the policy covers all further modification to the car which does not effect the engine (and even then, I just have to let them know and they'll tweak the pricing accordingly).

Sweet.

They should be the sponsors of this forum, not 2gether - AF was polite, helpful and had a clue. Couldn't hope for better so far.

My car is now insured... if ever inspiration was needed to finish the final couple of odds and ends....

Chris

Richard Quinn

posted on 26/8/10 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Another happy ending! I love this place!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.