Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lathes ?
Screwy

posted on 27/6/04 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Lathes ?

Just wondering how many locosters have a lathe ?

I have a boxford in the workshop plus a small milling machine and pillar drill . Also have access to various large machine tools at work (gear cutting , horizontal and vertical boring , milling and lathes up to 52" swing )

all comes in handy imo

SeaBass

posted on 27/6/04 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I use a lathe all the time for turning up adaptors spacers etc. Invaluable if you've access to a decent one...

Cheers
JC

MikeR

posted on 27/6/04 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'd love a lathe - except i can't afford one and don't have the space if i could
Alan B

posted on 27/6/04 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yup...got one...:-)

Before I set up my design business here I had a small machine shop....I stopped doing machining work, but kept all the kit...

You can live without a lathe...until you have one....then you are hooked......there are a lot of 5 miute jobs that would end up being 1 or 2 hours without it....

[Edited on 27/6/04 by Alan B]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Noodle

posted on 27/6/04 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Colchester Bantam.

I couldn't afford a 'proper' (i.e. not some bloomin' awful Chinese thing), so I rang around a load of schools. Sure enough, my old metalwork teacher (who was still there) sorted it out for me. We hoiked it onto a car trailer using an engine hoist and it's VERY useful.

Total cost £0. (Well, I had to buy a plug). The Local Education Authority had them all converted to single-phase a while ago.

Came with it's original manual (unused) with 1963 stamped on it, 2x3 jaw, a 4 jaw, Jacobs chuck for the tailstock, knurler etc etc.

There's a local school to me who may be getting rid of a Harrison (that's all I know so far), and I'm trying to find out more info. My school may get rid of one soon, but my names on it. Really p*ssed of that we don't have a miller any more though

I'm making a plunger for a pinball game at the moment!

Cheers,

Neil.

p.s. I like my lathe. Can you tell

Your sort make me sick

Screwy

posted on 27/6/04 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
building one of these atm
type 907

posted on 27/6/04 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
What can we say?

VERY IMPRESSIVE

A very humbled Paul G

Too much is just enough

chris.russell

posted on 27/6/04 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have one but have acess to lots at work of various sizes, superb machines.

Very nerve racking when you us a massive lathe seeing something that could weight tons spinning around - worse still setting something up in a massive lathe with the aid of a crane.

Mines a pint

David Jenkins

posted on 27/6/04 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have a couple of elderly lathes - a 1940-something Zyto 3.75" (around £60) and a 1950-something Colchester Student 6" (£200).

Both get used quite regularly!

David

paulf

posted on 27/6/04 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Raglan lathe and a small milling machine. I have had a lathe ever since leaving school and couldnt imagine not having access to one, there is always something i am doing that needs one.
I am also interested in model engineering and have considered building the Bently aero engine a number of times, maybe something like that will be the next project as my car is nearly finished.
Paul.

Bob C

posted on 27/6/04 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I got a boxford '80s thing last year from loot for £300. It's gorgeous! It's got a calibration certificate !!!!!!
Let me down this week - a 20tpi thread cut came out at 19tpi (ish), I think it must have an imperial leadscrew or the labels on the cover are wrong...
It's right though, you never realise how much you need a lathe 'til you get one
Bob C

MarkL

posted on 27/6/04 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have a small boxford and a desktop lathe from machine mart via China or somewhere.
Also a free standing pilar drill and a vertical mill drill thats from China and I am very impressed with the one I have, although I know it can be a bit hit and miss.
The original intention was to build a 5" gauge Britannia steam train, I even have some castings that are three years old and not even started.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/6/04 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
what do you do with a small aero engine once its finished? what does it power?

(better answer than a small plane please)

atb
steve

David Jenkins

posted on 28/6/04 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
That Bentley BR1 aero engine model is awesome - I believe it works out to around a few hundred cc's. We're talking about an 18" diameter 9-cylinder rotary, where the whole engine rotates! Swings a 2 or 3 foot prop.

I bought the construction book - then chickened out when I saw what was involved.

rgds,

David

Screwy

posted on 28/6/04 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
what do you do with a small aero engine once its finished? what does it power?

atb
steve

Eeeeerm , uuuuur,cough mmmmmmm

Absolutely nothing in all honesty ,maybe run it up for friends or just for the hell of it.

or maybe

DaveFJ

posted on 29/6/04 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
How about using it to power a lift mototr for a small hovercraft ? can't be that difficult to make and looks like an excellent 'locost' project ?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

spunky

posted on 29/6/04 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
If anyone is inspired by this topic, here is a very usefull bit of kit.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3823257183&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Unfortunately I just don't have any room.

John

no connection by the way, just thought it looks good.

[Edited on 29/6/04 by spunky]

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

Rob Lane

posted on 29/6/04 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
"Whole engine rotates" - David

Surely not, engine is fixed, crank rotates, prop connected to same.

I have a Machine Mart lathe which came my way after an insurance settlement. Trouble is it came after my build finished and it's been used once to turn down a clutch alignment tool spigot end, by Dean C. He declared it as "not bad, much better than he thought"

I can't really use a lathe, as my time on one was just the basics but that was "cough cough" years ago!

Fortunately should I need anything then my son is a wizz with one.

I recently came across the Model Engineer magazine and it all looked so tempting, boys toys and all that!

Rob Lane
www.robs7.com

[Edited on 29/6/04 by Rob Lane]

Screwy

posted on 29/6/04 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
"Whole engine rotates" - David

Surely not, engine is fixed, crank rotates, prop connected to same.

With rotary engines the crank is fixed and the prop is bolted to the crankcase and the whole engine turns

like so

[Edited on 29/6/04 by Screwy]

spunky

posted on 29/6/04 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
OMG

I never knew they worked like that....

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

David Jenkins

posted on 30/6/04 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spunky
I never knew they worked like that....

John

That's why they stopped making any more of these after the BR1 - the plane it was fitted to was an evil device, which would crash on take-off when flown by new pilots... engine going full blast down the runway, the tail would lift, and the torque reaction (precession?) of the huge spinning engine would immediately try to turn the whole plane 90 degrees... nice.... made dog fights interesting, though, as it could snap-roll so fast one way that the enemy fighter couldn't follow.

Also, because the whole engine is spinning, they had to use a total-loss oil system, so the pilot was continuously sprayed with a fine mist of partly burnt castor oil - with EVERY effect you can imagine!
David

[Edited on 30/6/04 by David Jenkins]

Terrapin_racing

posted on 30/6/04 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
You must have the patience of a saint screwy. I have a 1939 Sheldon 11" swing lathe. Traced it's history when trying to get spares from USA (which I did, still going) - made it over to UK duringt he war on a merchant ship to a company making small engines. Ended up in a shed in Birkenhead where I bought it and restored it. Invaluable now! Rescued attachment lathe1.jpg
Rescued attachment lathe1.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
greggors84

posted on 30/6/04 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Its not meant to spin like that! Youve just put it together wrong!!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

locoboy

posted on 30/6/04 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
omg terrapin, your lathe is better finished than my car!, nice piece of kit though

ATB
Locoboy

Rob Lane

posted on 30/6/04 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm staggered by that David !

I've seen the same looking engines fixed and prop turning on crank. However, after a search I now realise that the BR1 was the engine in the Sopwith Camel and did indeed turn as shown.

It turns out the ones I've seen are 'Radial' engines. These are fixed cylinders and prop attached to crank. A later design.

I read some of the info on the Camel fitted with this engine and nearly as many pilots died due crashes related to the engine as did in combat!

I wouldn't trust that small safety area shown in photo if that thing was running near me !!

Rob

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.