Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Square holes for carriage bolts
Chris_R

posted on 17/7/04 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Square holes for carriage bolts

Say for example that you wanna use carriage bolts to hold your master cylinder and pedal box to the bulk-head? Is there an alternative to drilling a hole and using a square file to allow the bolt to fit? Thought carriage bolts may be easier than having a spare pair of hands holding a spanner on the other side of the bulk-head. Rescued attachment carriage_bolts.jpg
Rescued attachment carriage_bolts.jpg

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 17/7/04 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Easier than filing out a square hole?

Can you get the carriage bolts in high tensile?

I'm not sure I'd bother! Holding a nut/bolt has got to be less effort than filing!

All the best,
James

Chris_R

posted on 17/7/04 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Well, less time consuming. The theory is that once you've put the bolt in the hole you can still hold in on the threaded side. Besides, eager for the machines to take over the world, that way I can become the chosen one.

[Edited on 17/7/04 by Chris_R]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chris.russell

posted on 17/7/04 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
why don't you just put a small tack weld on either the nut or bolt? what way you can still remove the pedal box on your own

Mines a pint

Chris_R

posted on 17/7/04 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I'd try to deny that that's a good idea, but it would be futile. Cheers Chris.

madforfishing

posted on 17/7/04 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I expected you to quash that idea with ' My bulkhead is made of Aluminium! '

Chris_R

posted on 17/7/04 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
It's not done yet so I do have the option. Plus, I've got a large alu panel to use up.

nicklondon

posted on 18/7/04 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
i have only ever used carriage bolts in wood, the square bites into the wood as you tighten the nut.
Chris_R

posted on 18/7/04 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
The thought struck me when I was putting my steel weights bench up. It uses carriage bolts with wing nuts for ease of assembly.

DaveFJ

posted on 19/7/04 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
I was considering using carriage bolts for my seat runners - just so I don't have bolt heads sticking out and spoiling the lovely fully panelled flat bottom .....

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Terrapin_racing

posted on 20/7/04 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
You can get special washers which have two tabs - one sits against the bolt head flat (to prevent it turning) and the other goins into a small hole drilled adjacent to the bolt hole - can't recall what they are called?
Also bolt locking plates - see centre of photo Rescued attachment special.jpg
Rescued attachment special.jpg

DaveFJ

posted on 20/7/04 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
you mean tab washers ?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Terrapin_racing

posted on 20/7/04 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
yes - how did I miss that one .
Peteff

posted on 20/7/04 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
spoiling the lovely fully panelled flat bottom

Thinking of spending a lot of time under there are you?. The MOT tester will really appreciate it though, nothing to snag his barnet. Tab washers are for getting muck out your ears round here.

[Edited on 20/7/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

dmottaway

posted on 20/8/04 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
thought you might be interested in this. its is a bit out of date, but might be an interesting hunt.

also, if the metal you want to put the hole into is not too thick (or you have Popeye type arms) you could use a panel, or sheet metal, nibbler to square up a drilled hole.

be aware, though, that the metal has to be at least as thick as the shoulder on the bolt lest you have a problem getting the pedal box to sit against the bulkhead.

dave

mad4x4

posted on 23/8/04 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Use a bench grinder to grind off the "flats" leave a small taper so as it pulls into the hole it tightens up.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

MikeP

posted on 25/8/04 at 05:09 AM Reply With Quote
http://upper.us.edu/faculty/smith/reuleaux.htm

silex

posted on 30/8/04 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
You can drill square holes if you really want, but it is a bit of a clart on.

No this isn't a joke - yes you can drill square holes.

Requirements:

1 x drill bit - triangular in design.
1 x square hole template.

The drill is not fluted in any way, just flat side and it should taper to a point at the end - a bit like a triangular needle file (in fact they are excellent drills for small holes)

Note, if it does not taper, you will need to drill a round hole to start with, big enough to slide the triangular drill into.

The drill has to be harder than the metal you cut and the hole template harder than the drill (otherwise your template goes bye bye)

Place template onto metal to be cut and fix firmly. Start to drill into the middle of the template hole. Once the drill has pierced the metal you will feel it start to bounce around inside the jig plate. After a short time, all the material is removed and the hole will match that of the jig plate.

Depending on your triangular drill and the size of the hole you may get slightly radiused corners.

It works fantasically in aluminium, and very good in thin steel. I have personally done 12mm thick ally and 5mm of steel.

Also, its more economical if you have a large number of holes to cut.

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

silex

posted on 30/8/04 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry MikeP, I should have looked at your link first - Doh !

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

MikeP

posted on 30/8/04 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
LOL, np. I thought the article was a little academic, good to hear it can actually be done!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.