Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Argon TIG regulator question
Alan B

posted on 25/8/11 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
Argon TIG regulator question

I have 2 argon regulators, the ones with flow gauges on. Both have been in my very warm workshop for about 3 years.
I decided it was time to get perfecting my TIG techniques when I come to find the side pressure relief valve is just constantly blowing off whenever I open the bottle up. Both are Victor brand and show the same syptoms.

Could it be the regulator part (I assume that is what it is, accesible from underneath) is stuck, or some seals have perished etc. or any other common problem you know of?.....I can't imagine either is broken beyond repair surely?

Cheers,

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 25/8/11 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
it could be excess pressure in the bottle or,if it is as humid there as it was when i went,some corrosion on the relief valve?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

tilly819

posted on 25/8/11 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
New 300 Bar bottle of gas and old 250Bar regulator?

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

Peteff

posted on 25/8/11 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Screw them all the way out and in again. Have they been left under tension? It sounds like the diaphragm has gone in them both.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Alan B

posted on 25/8/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys...a few things to look at there...

Cheers,

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 26/8/11 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan,

I did Google "Victor" and note they are a good quality brand. Also that you can buy refurb seal kits for them.

My local welding rep offers a refurb service for quality makes of regulators but it does cost about the same
as a cheap new one off eBay. Not sure if the same applies in the USA.

I think if I had a faulty acetylene on oxygen reg I'd go for a refurb, but flow rates for argon or CO2 are much
less critical so I'd just buy a new cheap one.

By now curiosity would have got the better of me and I would have unscrewed the relief valve and had a look.
Maybe there's just an O ring seal that needs replacing.

I must say I find it strange that both regs have become faulty at the same time.
Must be that Florida sun. Try moving to somewhere cold and wet, like England.

Cheers
Paul G

Alan B

posted on 26/8/11 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Paul, good input...as is everyone's input.

I'm totally convinced it is the weather/heat that is to blame.
The gas bottle is the only one I've had, and at first, about 3 years ago, it all worked fine so I'd rule out bottle pressure.
I've looked at the O ring on the pressure relief valve and it seems Ok (on both), and when you turn the bottle on it's not as if the relief valve is leaking, but more like it's operating correctly by lifting of it's seat and releiving pressure which leads me to think that it's the regulating part itself. The pressure regulator part appears to be allen key adjustable rather than a knob (sound right?) with the flow valve seeming to be the main adjustment method (again, sound right?)

Thanks for all the pointers so far I'll will check it out again this weekend when I get home.....I work 120 miles form home and only go back at weekends.

Cheers,

Alan

posted on 27/8/11 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Harris reg that I keep as a spare that is pre-set at 4 bar. (see pic)

There's a hole in one of the flats of the diaphragm cover that lets gas escape in the
event of diaphragm failure, just above 801 in the pic.

The other odd thing with this reg is the O ring seal on the inlet stem.

Cheers,
Paul G

Pre set reg
Pre set reg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.