Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Machine mart Air shears
I love speed :-P

posted on 24/8/04 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Machine mart Air shears

To day tring 2 cut my steel floor out, using these shears

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=000310940

got into it about 18 inches, and then cutter snapped of, to it back, swopped it for another one, and some problem again, anyone else, had this problem, or anything simliar?

Thanks Philip >not having much luck with tools< Moreton

[Edited on 24/8/2004 by I love speed :-P]

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 24/8/04 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I had a manual version of these - they will snap the blade if:-

a. the material is too thick/hard

b. you try to turn a corner

They only do straight lines, or incredibly gentle turns. If you want to do twisty bits then you need a nibbler - but they're not so good at straight lines, at least without having a straight-edge to follow.

David

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 24/8/04 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
your expecting a bit much cutting steel with those. I use them to cut ali and they are great.
For steel you should be using the saw ccs185m

or one of these Clarke CPS125 2mm Sheet/8mm dia. bar 051210072 £45.95 £53.99 add
Clarke CPS150 3mm Sheet/8mm dia. bar 051210073 £49.95 £58.69 add
Clarke CPS200 4mm Sheet/12mm dia. bar 051210074 £69.95 £82.19 add

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=051210074&r=2044&g=106

[Edited on 24-8-04 by mangogrooveworkshop]

JoelP

posted on 24/8/04 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
get a plasma cutter! i did, £500 and i only used it once... big waste of dough. i ended up using a jigsaw for many bits, it works wonders with the right blade. I wish id never bought the cutter, cos i also got a compressor that hasnt been used since...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

I love speed :-P

posted on 24/8/04 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
your expecting a bit much cutting steel with those.

Thanks what i thought, but b4 we brought it, we took in a sample of the floor, and they said it would cut it no problem

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 24/8/04 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ohhh... Hmmm I was about to get a pair of those.

I must admit that I was concerned by the breakage above. However, I was only thinking of one for the Ally bits, although I have a set of Aviation tinsnips red / green / yellow ones for that.

I have thought about a plasma cutter, but its the price that puts me off.

I have a 14CFM compressor, I dont use it a huge amount, but wouldnt be without it. I have a small range of air tools, and they are pretty good on the whole.

I suffered with Guillian Barre Syndrome 9 years ago, and have no stamina now, hence lots of physical work absolutely drains me.
www.gbs.org.uk - Read the Guestbook if you want to know what it can do to you. I got off fairly lightly with a 90% recovery

I got it by breathing in Algae (lots of it) blown up with my pressure washer. A simple paper mask could have prevented it.

Air tools help a lot, and the welder has saved me more than it has cost!.

These tools are cheap and cheerful (Sorry.. Value / budget). For the weekend mechanic, I find them more than adequate. ie Dont push them too hard!

Best Regards

Geoffw

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

niceperson709

posted on 24/8/04 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate
What I did was get my local sheet metal place to cut out the floor with their gilotine only a couple of bucks per cut , that gave me the basic outline and all i had to do was cut outs for the transmission, with my trusty angle grinder. a hint for cutting longer cuts with an angle grinder is to clamp/ tack weld some steel strip to provide a guide oh and don't put to much preasure on the grinder.
best wishes
Iain

splitrivet

posted on 25/8/04 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ive had one of those for years and aint busted a blade yet,I think 16's gauge is right on the limit for em tho plus you need a large compressor at least 12 cfm those little aldi £60 jobbies run out of puff after a 6 inch cut.
The other thing is let it do the work and dont force it.
In saying this I'm bound to bust the blade the next time I use it.
As Ian says tho best bet is to take your steel round to a local tin basher and let them guillotine it
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.