Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding stainless
dave1888

posted on 26/8/04 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Welding stainless

Is it possible to weld stainless to stainless using a mig welder if so do you require anything different ie wire or gas

locogeoff

posted on 26/8/04 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC You'll need stainless wire and an argon gas mixed with a wee bit oxygen 1-2%

Never tried it myself though!

Machine Mart sell ss wire and states its small bottles of pure argon are suitable for welding stainless

[Edited on 26/8/04 by locogeoff]

[Edited on 26/8/04 by locogeoff]

alfasudsprint

posted on 26/8/04 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
I am not an expert...but, yes, i undestand you need a different wire and gas, and more heat. I have welded a little stainless, with no probs, but the thing to watch for is rust. With different materials (ie the wire) the materials have electrolytic (correect?) differences, ie different number of positives and negatices, and that imbalance causes a flow in a particular direction, causing the corrosion, but if you clean it well and paint carefully, and not structual...prolly ok???
Mark Allanson

posted on 26/8/04 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've welded various grades of stainless with different flavours of gasses, I have used normal TC (80-20) with stainless using 1.2mm wire and over 400A.

For our sort of welding, I would just get a 0.5Kg reel of ss wire and go for it, just bump up the amps by about 10%. You will get a little chromium creep (the weld may eventually get a little surface rust), but, hey, ....

You could always get some 16g ss rods and arc weld, easier than for Mild steel and beautiful fillets

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 26/8/04 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
You could always get some 16g ss rods and arc weld, easier than for Mild steel and beautiful fillets

enlighten me! We have used the mig with argon and ss wire that works ok. but the use of the stick welder sounds good too

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/8/04 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
No real enlightenment required really, just buy the rods and use them with your arc welder. You have to lay down good welds because the slag is diamond hard, but it just curls away from a good weld

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

type 907

posted on 26/8/04 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All

BEWARE anyone using stainless arc rods for the first time.
As the weld cools and contracts the slag can fly off at lightning speed.
You hear a crack, next thing a near red hot speck has stuck to your eyelid.....
that's if you had time to blink.

Paul G

Too much is just enough

Peteff

posted on 27/8/04 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen it done using ordinary argon/co2 mix and stainless wire for dissimilar metals. I was told you will just get carbon in the weld but if it's not structural it should be o.k. Don't know how it will last though

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.