Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bagged a bargian
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 15/9/04 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
bagged a bargian

Got a sewing machine to do the upholstery in my car. Paid £3.99 for it courier 15 quid!

The local dealer says that these singers are able to sew the stuff we need as they have steel inards, the modern fancy machines all use plastics. So I will see how I get on. The local upholster was stuffing around and not wanting to do the job.

posted on 15/9/04 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Nice piece of tool Mango!!
marcyboy

posted on 15/9/04 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
i bought one of those sewing machines about 10 years ago for £4 at a boot sale,found the serial number and gave singer the number and they told me when are where it was built (1908 clydebank),nice to know details like that, shame every buggars got one
DaveFJ

posted on 15/9/04 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
word of advice, if it goes wrong don't EVER think you can fix it! we have a phrase in my family " A Sewing Machine Job" which finds it's roots in just such an incident... You know how on a car you always have a bit left over? I had about 30! damn thing went in the bin in the end

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Peteff

posted on 15/9/04 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
We have 3 of the old treddle type ones, a Singer, a Jones and a Bradbury all very similar. We wanted the Singer one to make the set and found it in a local junk shop for £25. It has all the original paperwork still in one of the drawers. The woman who first bought it had it on the never never at 1/11d a week and if my wife needs to do any heavy sewing now she uses that in preference to her electric one with all the gadgets.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 15/9/04 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think i beat ya.

I bought an electric lada (!!!) sewing machine a few months back for about 1.80!

Its a bit tricky learning to sew but its easier than welding!

make sure you get the right needles for the job - if its for pvc you need leather or denim needles. Also getting the cotton tension right for the needle feed is important.

atb

steve

orders for shirts, dresses and car trims taken

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.