Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: build your own lathe like me!!!
binraker

posted on 23/9/04 at 03:17 AM Reply With Quote
build your own lathe like me!!!

in one of the threads in here somewhere i metioned a stock built lathe and the possibility of autocad plans. well i did em today wilst sitting around from 9:30 till 4:00 trying to promote archery. so you can see them at

http://www.engineeringscotland.com/lathe.htm

what is it about me that makes me look like i know what im doing????

nick205

posted on 23/9/04 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Looks very good!

I made a drill press which used a Bosch electric hand drill for my project at college, but forgot to take it away with me when I left.

The thing is that you need machine tools (lathe and mill) in order to make the parts to make your own machine tool. So if you've already got them or got access to them you probably won't want to make one. Also a small lathe from Machine Mart or similar is less than £200 if I remember.

However I do think it's cool to make your own stuff!

Nick

wilkingj

posted on 23/9/04 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by binraker
Build your own Lathe like me!!!

in one of the threads in here somewhere i metioned a stock built lathe and the possibility of autocad plans.

http://www.engineeringscotland.com/lathe.htm

Well I didnt know you looked like a Lathe!!

Best Regards

Geoffw

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 26/9/04 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Looks very good!

I made a drill press which used a Bosch electric hand drill for my project at college, but forgot to take it away with me when I left.

The thing is that you need machine tools (lathe and mill) in order to make the parts to make your own machine tool. So if you've already got them or got access to them you probably won't want to make one. Also a small lathe from Machine Mart or similar is less than £200 if I remember.

However I do think it's cool to make your own stuff!

Nick

The smallest lathe they do is £340 and it's pretty tiny (259mm between centers, 153mm swing). Also they aren't very well made to be honest. There are better Chinese lathes available such as Warco.

I've been on the lookout for a decent lathe for ages, they are either knackered/broken or people want silly money for them.

binraker

posted on 26/9/04 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
thats why i decided to build one. and the fact that strip steel is made to a stupidly high level of precision (although not quite so stupidly accurate), it is cheap and readly avalable, i thought it would be simple. ot was untill i got the the chuck backplate. bit hard to make a perfect cylinder 160mm in dia. and 20mm thick from stock.

James

posted on 28/9/04 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Looks really good mate.

Is it finished or still on it's way?

I'd be interested in seeing some more pictures if you've got them posted.

Cheers,
James

binraker

posted on 30/9/04 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
should be finished soon. just got to go and buy the bits. will update website when i get there

Screwy

posted on 6/10/04 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Looks nice I have a half built lathe kicking about built from model engineer magazine plans which i never got round to finishing , same idea .

As mentioned flat stock plate is made to a high tollerance with regards size and flatness and dont dismiss hand tools for finish fits ie files , scrapers etc as this was how it was done in the early days of engineering to a very high tollerance .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.