Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Auto Darkening Helmet

posted on 2/10/04 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Auto Darkening Helmet

Going to a wall markt today where they seemed to have ADH for sale for 25£!!!!
Works on solar cells.
I dont know what to look for but for this kind of money i guess i should take the flaws with it.
Let you know what this little bugger is all about.

madforfishing

posted on 3/10/04 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
At 25 Euros if they are any good, Cita you might get a few requests for postage and packing costs.
Let us know if it's any good. (If you don't get ARC-EYE and can type afterwards)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 3/10/04 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
I have one for 40 quid from a uk supplier (stand at donnington). I haven't used any other auto-darkening helmet but this one's a bit naff. I describe it as being like the high contrast tunnel vision effect in the film "pitch black". you can see the arc and not a lot else, everything is blue. makes going back to glass a luxury. OK for tack welds though.

posted on 6/10/04 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I had my first go with the new helmet and for a novice like me it's a real luxuary item.
It sure makes life a LOT easier but i must say that it's a bit like blueshift mentioned in the above reply.
The overall view is a lot darker than with my conventional shield but i guess that experienced welders will have no problem with this.
All in all i consider it as an improvement.

Peteff

posted on 8/10/04 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Battery one off ebay

My mate Kev's bought one for £29 +p&p. He brought it round today for me to have a go and I was quite impressed with it. I was a bit wary of it but it went dark quickly and was adjustable from 9 to 13 with a visible difference between the lighter and darker shades. You had to remember to switch it on though but if the solar ones are as good I may invest in one.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/10/04 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Fine if you are welding alone, but in a work situation they are worse than useless, they darken everytime another welder flashes up!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

paulf

posted on 8/10/04 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a solar powered one and the main problem is that if left in the dark as in my locked workshop, it doesnt work properly unless welding in bright sunlight. After it has been in the sun for a while it tends to work fine for a while until left again. I think that the solar cell must charge an internal battery.
Apart from that is is very handy for tacking up and working under cars where its difficult with a hand held mask.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
You had to remember to switch it on though but if the solar ones are as good I may invest in one.

blueshift

posted on 8/10/04 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
hand held mask? that's crazy talk.. don't you have a glass full-face mask too? that's what I do most of my welding with.

always need two hands on the torch, dread to think what my welds would be like with only one. probably even WORSE

paulf

posted on 9/10/04 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i also have a full face glass mask, but if welding under a tin top i find it a pain to use for tacking etc as i allways end up working on ramps or axle stands with no room to be able to swing it in and out of position.
Anyhow i always use the auto mask now , the hand held job is collecting dust, however i actually find it easier to hold the torch in one hand unless doing long weld runs .
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by blueshift
hand held mask? that's crazy talk.. don't you have a glass full-face mask too? that's what I do most of my welding with.

always need two hands on the torch, dread to think what my welds would be like with only one. probably even WORSE

andyps

posted on 10/10/04 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
My mate Kev's bought one for £29 +p&p.

Where from?

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Peteff

posted on 10/10/04 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Battery one off ebay

Read the title andy . I've seen some solar ones on there as well, so I'm watching to see how high they go.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

splitrivet

posted on 11/10/04 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Had my solar one from ebay last year £36 plus P&P.It arrived from the states and I didnt pay any duty which was a bonus.
The panel is very good but the mask itself's quality leaves a lot to be desired but I suppose that can be changed.
A word of warning tho my lad had one and left it in the garage over the winter,the frost totally killed the electronics in his.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

ayoungman

posted on 20/10/04 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
welding

I've been welding for years so when I first used a self darkening shield, it was a revelation. For first timers, it must make placing the tip in position much easier, I've also used the shield for arc welding and it helps in striking the arc too. Mine cost £100 approx.

"just like that !"

Terrapin_racing

posted on 20/10/04 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Remember guy's - you get what you pay for! Check the technical spec and HSE compliance.
How much is new eyesight these days?
I eventually bought one compliant to UK standards but it was > £100

and to repeat a point mentioned early - don't leave it in the garage over winter - wrecks the lense and electronics (damp/cold)

Have fun

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 20/10/04 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cost of new eyesight approx 1200£ as per oct. 2003!

Had eye surgery on both eyes.World looks a different place and i'm much more ugly than i thought i was!!!!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.