Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what torque for a new helicoil?
Irony

posted on 15/2/15 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
what torque for a new helicoil?

Put my first helicoil in this evening. I stripped a thread in my rover v8 inlet manifold water system. The head is aluminium. What torque should I do the bolt up to?. Its m8.
rodgling

posted on 15/2/15 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I calculated this for my brake calliper brackets, which have a helicoil insert (for extra strength) to bolt them to the upright. Can't remember how I calculated it but for helicoiled aluminium with an M14 thread, it worked out about 70-80% of the torque you would use with a normal steel nut. So maybe that is a good starting point?
britishtrident

posted on 15/2/15 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Torque to original manufacturers spec.
A helicoil has in theory a higher pull out load than the original thread.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bi22le

posted on 15/2/15 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

This is interesting. Do you have proof? Nor doubting you for a second, you seem to always speak sense, just curious.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

bart

posted on 16/2/15 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
Logic would say it's the torque normal applied to steel in aluminium for the outside thread id of the helicoil you are using.see the helicoil tap thread for that. The bolt inside would be steel in steel so would be higher than that of the outside which is steel in aluminium.so to me the lower figure would be correct . So to clarify it's the outside thread of the helicoil which is the limiting factor. So use that.

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

Slimy38

posted on 16/2/15 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
I have to admit I thought one of the selling points of the helicoil insert was that the fixing could still support the original torque value?

I'd hazard a guess that because the helicoil has a larger surface area in contact with the parent material (effectively going up a bolt size), it would actually support a higher torque?

bart

posted on 16/2/15 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
That's what I'm saying

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

britishtrident

posted on 16/2/15 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
With threads cut into light alloys the limiting factor in the torque calculation is the load the will cause failure by the bolt pulling out of the parent material. As the effective OD of a helicoil is the bolt OD + the pitch of the bolt's thread an M8x1.5 helicoil will pull out from the parent material at the same load as M9.5x1.5 bolt.

With an inlet manifold it is extremely important that all the bolts are tightened evenly ( many manufacturers have a specified procedure) to ensure a good seal.
I am a bit surprised you have metric threads on a Rover V8 every one I have worked on had UNC and UNF threads.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

SPYDER

posted on 16/2/15 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
As per the previous post you'll be wanting an even contact pressure across the whole mating surface so just tighten it up to the standard torque.
I was involved in the production of jet engine casings for many years and a lot of the threaded holes were helicoiled from the factory. We had to collect the broken off tangs and bag them up to be sent to RR with each casing.

Irony

posted on 16/2/15 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Its not a bolt that clamps the manifold to the heads. Its in the water system. It connects the manifold to a steel right angled turn in the water system. I have tapped the previous UNC/UNF with a M8 helical.

Inlet Stripped Bolt
Inlet Stripped Bolt

[Edited on 16/2/15 by Irony]

coyoteboy

posted on 16/2/15 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Torque bolt to manufacturers spec, helicoil is stronger than original female thread if done correctly.

MikeRJ

posted on 16/2/15 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

This is interesting. Do you have proof? Nor doubting you for a second, you seem to always speak sense, just curious.

A larger diameter thread will be stronger than a smaller one, surely just common sense? Fittings in alloy sometimes have thread inserts fitted at manufacture to increase the loading they can take (though not usually on automotive stuff as the cost is too high).

coyoteboy

posted on 16/2/15 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Aye, in most of our (space-related) softer alloy components and plastic components we helicoil from the factory to ensure thread strength while maintaining small fastener capability. It also helps for regular disassembly-reassembly joints.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.