Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sandblasting?
Bob da builder

posted on 4/12/04 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sandblasting?

hey up

does anybody have any first hand experiance with the sandblastes for sale in machine mart that run on compressed air as i was thinking of getting one to strip down a triumph chassis. but dont realy want to waste my money if they are as useless as chocolate tea pots!!!

cheers

bob

Peteff

posted on 4/12/04 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you mean the ones that look like a pressure pot on legs you need a massive fad to power them. My mate used to run one of an ex gas board van with a built in compressor and I think anything smaller would struggle.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 4/12/04 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have a suction cup one (looks like a spray gun). Its fine for small stuff, but I think a chassis would be beyond it. It would also work out expensive on grit too, a cup lasts about 30 seconds

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

wilkingj

posted on 4/12/04 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I built a cabinet tyrp sand blaster.
£25 for the metal, and £25 for a clarke sandblasting gun.
It makes my 14CFM (3 HP motor) 150L tank, run almost continuously.
I chose to make a big cabinet 700mm Cube. the otherones like the Pot type, shove the blasting medium everywhere.
You will need an Air fed mask with filter as you do NOT want to breathe in all that dust, rust, sarbon, silica, and everything else.. I assume you want to keep breathing through a decent set of lungs!!

As PeteF says... you want a Mega compressor. preferable a 3 phase job to keep up with the blasting.

Take it to a blasting shop... it will cost less than all the kit and is more healthy for you.

Organise it so you can pick up the cleaned chassis, and take it to a paint shop or paint it the same day (or Galv it!).

My little blater is great for small items, but a whole chassis?... not big enough for
that!..

[img]/upload/DSCF0079.JPG[/img]

My Locost Blaster

[Edited on 4/12/2004 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob da builder

posted on 5/12/04 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for the info guys, i will take your advice and get it done by a pro with all the gear!! and i like the idea of galvanising it!! stop my spitfire chassis rotting before my eyes!!!

take it esay

bob

krlthms

posted on 6/12/04 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote
Bob: Look at Kimini's site from this forum:
http://www.kimini.com/
In his last progress posting, he has some nice pictures of the process of sandblasting a chassis.

Wilkinsj: Would you want to sandblast a chassis if you are going to galvanize it? Acid clean?

Cheers
KT

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.