Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Marks on xflow crank, should I be worried?
GaryM

posted on 22/7/15 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Marks on xflow crank, should I be worried?

The crank is from a 1600 xflow and measures OK for wear and bentness.

However, i'm not sure if I should be worried about some marks on two of the big end journals. What do you think?

Cheers
Gary

r1_pete

posted on 22/7/15 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
There's a fair bit of scoring on those journals too, looks like its been run with dirty oil for a while.

The mark in pic 1 looks like its been stood with dirt trapped, and god knows how regular use could cause the marks in pic 2....

If it were mine I'd have it re ground before using it, as it is its likely to wear new bearing rather than bed in...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 22/7/15 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
anything you can catch a fingernail in? the second pic looks liek there are some deep scratches across the journal?

I have used fine abrasive paper strips to smooth crank journals before, not ideal but that came from a proper old fashioned mechanic who really knows how to build engines (and diffs/boxes etc) and the engine was fine for many thousands of miles. Not a thrashed car though, and your expectations may be different.

Think about cost of a grind, it may not be bad in the scale of things.....

Surrey Dave

posted on 22/7/15 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Leather Belt

I'm not sure if i'm making it up but , I thought people used to polish journals with metal polish and a leather strap/ belt?

Although those marks look a bit beyond polish.

I don't know what a grind and shells cost these days, but while its all apart might be a sensible move , then you know its ok.

britishtrident

posted on 22/7/15 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Moderate scoring, I would measure the journals for ovality before putting any effort in the polishing them out, the odds are it will be worn oval enough to need need a regrind.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.