Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lathe
shortie

posted on 7/12/04 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Lathe

Anyone know anything about these lathes??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64819&item=3858394592&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4341717159&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Or do I go for a Myford ML7 and pay a bit more for second hand??

Any help appreciated, tempted to buy new as my requirements are fairly basic but a bit worried if I need to do screwcutting that the new ones may run a bit fast for it.

Rich.

David Jenkins

posted on 7/12/04 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
These are probably both made in China, and if so the quality may be - um - variable. Often they're splendid, but every so often you'll get a heap of rubbish. A lot depends on the quality of the UK distributor for after-sales support, etc. If I was getting one of these I'd go direct to the importer (look in Model Engineer), rather than some anonymous bod on eBay.

A second-hand Myford is a good move as there's a lot of support available. Many 3rd-party tools and accessories available, and many lathe companies know how to fix them when they're broken. The main downside is the cost of Myford accessories, and they won't handle heavy work - most are 3.5" centre height. You won't be disappointed if you get a good one and it's capacity is enough for your needs.

There is a smaller Myford lathe which might meet your needs - ML4, I think it's called. More basic, smaller, cheaper.

David

shortie

posted on 7/12/04 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks David, theres a few Myford ML7's on ebay at the moment so I may go for one of those.

Rich.

Peteff

posted on 7/12/04 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
I keep looking at them.

http://www.chesteruk.net/Model%20B-Super%203-in-1.htm

I couldn't justify buying one as it wouldn't get used enough but no harm looking.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

David Jenkins

posted on 7/12/04 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
A friend has one of them - he's happy with his, and has made most of a very large 5" gauge loco with it. Good customer service too.
Not cheap, tho'.

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.