Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where to buy oil
garyo

posted on 3/9/21 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Where to buy oil

It's been a while since I've done self servicing, but now need to do a petrol and diesel vehicle. Where do you guys buy service packs from? Is Opie still good value or do you use your local motor factors? I'm only looking for the usual oil+filter+air-filter+plugs really.

Thanks

theconrodkid

posted on 3/9/21 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
i usually use these people https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/brake-pads?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtbnjBRDBARIsAO3zDl8VZmprP6NEQMK-seBVXsnd9Btrbi7knNQWwyCmm7HbdLuY7pXVOx0aArkEEALw_wcB
they seem to be related to Euro car parts but with different prices

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

wonderfulweasel

posted on 3/9/21 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
I (and other family members) have used Opie Oils for years and been very happy with their service.
SJ

posted on 3/9/21 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
i usually use these people https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/brake-pads?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtbnjBRDBARIsAO3zDl8VZmprP6NEQMK-seBVXsnd9Btrbi7knNQWwyCmm7HbdLuY7pXVOx0aArkEEALw_wcB

I use carparts4less as well. Not bad but get some things wrong. I just got a Halfords trade card which makes them pretty competitive as far as I can see.

lordbenny

posted on 3/9/21 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
I get my 5 litres, Formula F Ford/Castrol 5w 30 fully synth oil from Ebay...£24.99 inc 3 day delivery!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274579623376

gremlin1234

posted on 3/9/21 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid

I use carparts4less as well. Not bad but get some things wrong. I just got a Halfords trade card which makes them pretty competitive as far as I can see.

carparts4less and euro car parts are the same company. make sure you use whatever their current discount token is. (ie order online for collection and enter the code from the top of the page)

hellbent345

posted on 3/9/21 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve found opie oils to be the cheapest, these days your order also comes with a wax paper funnel which was a really nice thought IMO

SJ

posted on 3/9/21 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hellbent345
I’ve found opie oils to be the cheapest, these days your order also comes with a wax paper funnel which was a really nice thought IMO

When I looked Opie were much more expensive than carparts4less.

garyo

posted on 3/9/21 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

Indeed.... my default go-to used to be Opie, but when looking at it this week the prices felt a bit toppy and I wondering if it'd run it's course, hence my question. I'll cast the net a bit further based on the replies above - thanks chaps.

nick205

posted on 4/9/21 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Local motor factors for service parts for me. They have the bits on the shelves, prices are good and they're local.
Sanzomat

posted on 5/9/21 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Local motor factors for service parts for me. They have the bits on the shelves, prices are good and they're local.

Absolutely. They are sometimes a couple of quid more on some items but usually not far off and the service you get in terms of help identifying parts from odd donors is great. Several times I've put something down on the counter at my local factors and the guy looks at it and says something like "haven't seen one of those for a few years, looks like an late 80's MG Maestro part" he then gets out the old paper catalogue, finds the part, confirms it is what he guessed and goes to the back of the stock room and finds one. You don't get service like that on the internet! If nobody uses them they'll disappear and we'll miss them when their gone.

[Edited on 5/9/21 by Sanzomat]

nick205

posted on 5/9/21 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanzomat
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Absolutely. They are sometimes a couple of quid more on some items but usually not far off and the service you get in terms of help identifying parts from odd donors is great. Several times I've put something down on the counter at my local factors and the guy looks at it and says something like "haven't seen one of those for a few years, looks like an late 80's MG Maestro part" he then gets out the old paper catalogue, finds the part, confirms it is what he guessed and goes to the back of the stock room and finds one. You don't get service like that on the internet! If nobody uses them they'll disappear and we'll miss them when their gone.

[Edited on 5/9/21 by Sanzomat]

Agreed, my local ones give great service and have massive knowledge not available online.

coyoteboy

posted on 7/9/21 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Amazon Basics synthetic hits all my requirements and is usually the cheapest too. Online tests suggest it's nearly as good as premium brands.

I'll be honest, I've not found a decent local factors in years. Alternator parts suppliers vanished, local factors started buying in chocolate parts, and employing kids with no knowledge. Just no value in it for me anymore, I can research online and buy the parts I need faster and cheaper. I know it's controversial, and there are things where it's helpful, but this isn't one for me.

[Edited on 7/9/21 by coyoteboy]

SJ

posted on 7/9/21 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Amazon Basics synthetic hits all my requirements and is usually the cheapest too. Online tests suggest it's nearly as good as premium brands.

I'll be honest, I've not found a decent local factors in years. Alternator parts suppliers vanished, local factors started buying in chocolate parts, and employing kids with no knowledge. Just no value in it for me anymore, I can research online and buy the parts I need faster and cheaper. I know it's controversial, and there are things where it's helpful, but this isn't one for me.

[Edited on 7/9/21 by coyoteboy]

Never realised Amazon did their own brand. Looks good - 5w30 fully synth is same price as Halfords with the trade card.

hellbent345

posted on 13/9/21 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyo
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

Indeed.... my default go-to used to be Opie, but when looking at it this week the prices felt a bit toppy and I wondering if it'd run it's course, hence my question. I'll cast the net a bit further based on the replies above - thanks chaps.

That’s interesting, I very recently (last month or so) did a comparison on all the sites I could think of for a jimny and although I would rather have bought the oil along with all the rest of the service parts and had it come in one lot, opie was half the price (or more) of others. This is on ‘I don’t really care about the brand’ fully synthetic though, perhaps you guys have found them to be expensive on specific brands?

oilman

posted on 14/9/21 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyo
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

I hope we haven't run our course! Or I am in trouble! I will admit, we are not always the cheapest, but we hope that is reflected in our service. If the pricing seems out on the things you need, just contact us and we will do our best to do something about it

Cheers,

Guy

Use the code LOCOSTBUILDERS and get 10% Club Discount
oilman's website for performance engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
phone: 01209 202944

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.