Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tube Bender Die Sizes
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 26/12/07 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Tube Bender Die Sizes

We have a mandrel bender at work. Thing is the dies are for nominal bore piping. I have mesured what outside diameter tubes will fit into each die. The measurements I took are in the following table.

Mandrel Sizes
Mandrel Sizes

What i wanted to know was how close the die and tube OD should be for a good bend.

I am assuming I could get DOM/CDS tube sized on an appropriate OD if it is close enough to the die, but how close does it have to be??

This is for my roll cage btw

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

joolsmi16

posted on 26/12/07 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
bends

Hi liam, cant help with your die Q, but does your workplace do small steel tubing fabrication work, laser cutting , etc.

If so Iam in Haverfordwest so can ring for a quote on the fab required.

Cheer

Jools

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 26/12/07 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
no sorry not in milford any more.
u2u sent

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Chippy

posted on 26/12/07 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Liam, if the die is too loose you will get flattening of the tube on the bend, (SVA fail). Might be worth wasting a bit of 2" o/d on the 49.05 die though, as that's only .95 mil out, and you wouldn't get flattening, I would be inclined to give it a go. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

indykid

posted on 27/12/07 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Liam, if the die is too loose you will get flattening of the tube on the bend, (SVA fail).

sva doesn't have any requirement for roll structure, so unless you intend to race, it won't fail scrutiny.

i'd rather have it well made for my own peace of mind though
tom

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 27/12/07 at 02:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Liam, if the die is too loose you will get flattening of the tube on the bend, (SVA fail). Might be worth wasting a bit of 2" o/d on the 49.05 die though, as that's only .95 mil out, and you wouldn't get flattening, I would be inclined to give it a go. HTH Ray

unfortunately 49.05 is the Internal diameter of the die so 2" OD tube probably won't fit

also the car won't be subject to SVA as i live in oklahoma and i do plan to race over here though

[Edited on 27/12/07 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Alan B

posted on 27/12/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Liam, I think I'd go for the 1.5 die with the 1.762 dim.....and use 1.75 tube...only 12 thou' clearance...should be Ok I would have thought.

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chippy

posted on 27/12/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Indykid

Hi, think that you better check your copy of the SVA reg's mate, as there is a requirement regards deformation of tube in bends. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

indykid

posted on 29/12/07 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
but for sva, no roll structure is required.

i've seen roll bars made from square tube welded in the corners and i assume they weren't all pre sva. they definitely wouldn't pass scrutineering for competition though.

is a roll structure therefore like a reverse light? if it's fitted, it has to be right, but equally, the car can pass without? i'd imagine the deformation of tube referred more to the main spaceframe, but for completeness, i'd be interested in an actual reference

tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.