Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zinga
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/4/08 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Zinga

I got this stuff called Zinga, its like 96% zinc in a binder this comes in brush on tin or spray cans (the heaviest cans you'll ever lift), apparently it is more effective than hot dip galvanising.

So I tried the stuff on some panels I’d cleaned in the bath of doom, which were spotless and dry. Problem…it rubbed off with my finger and did not seem to bond at all with the surface The instructions do say works best if the item is first grit blasted and then 'decontaminated'...do I hear warning bells

Oh great £40 down the pan

Ah but I had and idea why not try mixing the zinc paint with a sticky paint (where is the light bulb smiley?) like engine enamel so I did and it worked great.

So first I give it a light spray of the engine paint and then right way spray a coat on Zinga into the first coat, I mixes well without any reactions. Once dry I give it a heavy coat of Zinga followed, once that’s dry by a final shiny coat of enamel (which you’ll note on the tin says Acrylic )

Worked great, very good bond and now plenty of Zinc to prevent corrosion.

Hope this is some help to someone Rescued attachment zinga.JPG
Rescued attachment zinga.JPG

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 22/4/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
posted something the other day about zinga, some interesting claims. If its as good as they say - you're not going to see any rust for a number of years!

let us know how you get on, i may be ready to paint my chassis around then

nitram38

posted on 22/4/08 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
A rough oil free surface will probably be better for the paint to adhere to.
Did you use panel wipe before you started?

caber

posted on 22/4/08 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same "rubs straight off " with galvafroid another "cold galvanising paint concoction. I followed the instructions and it was pants. I was trying to use it on Land Rover bits.

Caber

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/4/08 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
oh they were was clean alright, scrubbed the panels, then washed with thinners followed by cleaning with washing up liquid and drying over the radiator, even wore latex gloves to handle it.

Still rubbed off

only thing I could do was mix it with another paint, though I think it will still work fine as the zinc should leach out into any scratches the panels gets.

Quoted off the can – ‘Zingard hardens on metal surfaces and its excellent flexibility and adhesion prevents peeling off, with exceptional resistance to mechanical shocks, abrasion and erosion’

Ehem yeah right…

Next they’ll be claiming it halves your cars running cost by simply tie-wrapping the can to the fuel line.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jlparsons

posted on 22/4/08 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
I exchanged emails with the Zinga's technical manager for UK & Eire a little while ago about using it for a kit car, he's on rsimpson@zinga-uk.com, nice fella, I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any queries. I've never used it but am planning to - i beleive from what Rick says that a blast cleaning or phosphate dipping surface treatment is recommended before coating with this stuff.
jlparsons

posted on 22/4/08 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Once it's on properly you shouldn't even be able to chisel it off. I'm pretty sure that if you mix it with paint you'll lose galvanic protection so it'll be pointless. I think if you don't blast or phosphate it may be fruitless, but ask Rick to be sure.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Bluemoon

posted on 23/4/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
As above, Zinga will only help with corrosion resistance if it's directly on the metal.. The zinc particles need to be electrically connected to the metal else it's no better than normal paint! So I'm afraid mixing with paint is a wast of time...

Dan

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/4/08 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
oh well won't be buying that stuff again

jlparsons

posted on 23/4/08 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've pretty much concluded it's going to be good for small exposed stuff I can have blast cleaned, like wishbones and uprights. I was thinking about phosphate dipping the whole chassis and then filling it with this stuff and draining it, then painting the outside - voila, galvanised and non-warped chassis. Then I thought sod it I can't be bothered, I'll just do the bits that'll get knackered first.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Mix

posted on 23/4/08 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
At the end of the day this is just another surface finish, penetrate the surface, eg. stone chip and you have exposed bare metal and corrosion will begin. A small tin of touch up paint regularly used will maintain the item much more cheaply and look better cosmetically.

Mick

MikeR

posted on 24/4/08 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
arguably not.

The zinc provides protection within a small distance to the damage. If you read the site its quite interesting. Its the same principle as the zinc blocks on ships hulls.

DarrenW

posted on 25/4/08 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
For a while people used to say a zinc coating was self healing. Of course that is not possible but when its scratched the cathodic nature of the surface meand the zinc will corrode before the steel therefore keeping the steel oxide free. There will come a point however where the zinc corrodes back so far the the steel becomes unprotected again but it seems to take a long time.Didnt they call the zinc blocks on ships "sacrificial anodes"? Coating with the stuff does the same.

My mate fits galvanized chassis to Land Rovers - there are some done quite a few years ago that are still totally rust free.

i cant help thinking with the Zinga that you may need to add a coat and then allow it time to harden. If it is powdery then something is very wrong. maybe the surface prep isnt quite right. Have you tried new steel cleaned with panel wipe or similar. I dare bet the Highway maintenance people use this type of product for repairing armco barriers etc and they wont suffer a bad product for long.

[Edited on 25/4/08 by DarrenW]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.